Chapter Two

"Erm...well...excuse me," I mumble as I half walk half run away from the teenage heartthrob that has just simultaneously prevented and caused my extreme embarrassment. God, I was only here for five minutes and I already fucked up.

"The least you could say is thank you!" The curly-haired boy shouts at me. But it's too late because I have already reached the entrance to the theatre. I have practically ignored every photographer in this building. Jack is not going to be happy.

Jack Morgan is my manager. He's the kind of guy that knows what he wants and exactly how to get it, and he's not afraid to use tough love. And that's basically what he's done for me. He launched my career so quickly that I barely had enough time to take a breath before my face became plastered on every magazine in the business. But it took quite a few rows and reprimands before Jack got his message through to me: if I work hard, I will get rewarded. But the key is that I work hard and do what he says. No ifs, ands, or buts. For someone as independent as me, that is pretty hard. But I know it's what's best for my career, so I comply.

As I enter the theatre I am immediately overwhelmed. Of course I had already seen it in rehearsals, but not when it is full of beautiful people and energized with tension about the results. My heart starts beating really fast as the reality of tonight sets in. At that moment someone comes up behind me and touches my shoulder. I quickly turn around, half expecting a certain green-eyed man to have caught up with me, but I am faced with the dull gray eyes of my manager.

"Oh! Hello Jack. Thank God you're here."

"Good evening, Elena. I hope you are ready for tonight. Big Machine is rooting for you, and I expect that this will be a big win. That is, if you manage to stay on your feet." He cracks a small smile and leans in to whisper in my ear. "I saw you and Mr. Styles earlier today, I am glad to see you two getting along."

I take a step back to face him once again. With a quizzical look I ask, "Why would it matter if we got along? We are competition are we not?"

"Yes Miss Ryan, but the music industry is all about connections. You never know when you are going to need to befriend the enemy."

And with that he loops his arm in mine and whisks me away to my seat. I can't help but think there is something he is not telling me, but I decide to ignore it for the moment. I need all the positive thoughts I can muster if I am going to get through this night successfully.

However, as he leads me through the aisles I grow more and more nervous. I expected to be seated farther back, but we keep moving closer and closer to the stage, and closer and closer to the cameras. I can feel myself sweating again.

Thank God Nicole gave me a sleeveless dress.

"Here we are Elena, row 2 seat 6. Behave yourself; I will be sitting with the managers in the back. Good luck girl!"

He gives me a quick kiss on the cheek and he is gone. I take my seat nervously. The first five seats in the row are empty, but to my left are Lorde, Pharrell, and Katy Perry. Lorde is the first to look up from her phone. With a smile (or was it a grimace?) she offers her hand as she introduces herself.

"Hi there, I'm Ella. You must be Elena. I love your music!"

I must have stood there with my mouth open for twenty seconds, at least.

"Oh um yes hi nice to meet you," I manage to spit out and then hurriedly take my seat.

"Hey, don't freak out just yet. Save the fan girling for someone bigger than me," she laughs quietly and returns her attention to her phone. Out of the corner of my eye I see the name Taylor Swift appear on the screen. In shock, I read the words Are you sitting next to Elena Ryan?! Tell her I love her album!