Chapter Four

"Jack," I whispered.

"Yes, Elena?"

"Have there been any tabloid stories about me today?"

Despite my utter shock and confusion over the text I presumed to be from none other than green-eyed Harry Styles, I knew one thing: Harry knew something. And when he mentioned the paparazzi I felt that familiar uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. The paps loved to document my love life, which was basically the only press I got besides the occasional statistic about my latest single. It must have to do with the fact that I was still a teenager, and teenagers are always falling in and out of love in Hollywood. But something felt off, because I hadn't had any tabloid stories since my break up with Dylan.

I shivered. No matter how hard I tried I would never forget how painful it was to read a headline that says, "Dylan O'Brien mercilessly cheated on by heartless Elena Ryan!" What they didn't know was that he cheated on me, but he wasn't enough of a man to admit the truth to the public. Jack's voice shook me out of my flashback.

"Oh, yes actually. I was going to tell you, but I didn't know how you would take it. You see last night..." He trailed off suddenly.

"Yes..." I urged him. I was not going to let him keep this from me. Something was up.

"Well, take a look for yourself." He reached into his desk drawer and pulled out a magazine that had me on the red carpet plastered on the front. Well, not just me, me and Harry Styles.

Love is in the air! Pop sensations Elena Ryan and Harry Styles cozy up at the AMAs last night. Are we looking at Helena or Elenarry? Cast your vote on our website!

My eyes must have bulged out of my head because Jack quickly tore the magazine from my hands with a concerned look.

"Now look before you get mad just think about how nice this publicity is! You being connected to Harry Styles will sell more tickets for the tour and potentially your new album. I mean, why do you think Syco was so willing to pick you up? This tabloid basically saved your career."

I felt like the walls were closing in on me. Did he expect me to play along with this "relationship"?

"Look Jack, I am NOT in a relationship with Harry nor will I EVER be. So if Syco wants us to date then I'm out. I already settled for opening their tour, I think One Direction has gotten enough from me."

Jack let out a quick laugh. "Elena no! It's nothing permanent, the public will forget about this in a couple weeks. You don't have to pretend to be together, it's just a rumor. I'm just saying that it's nice publicity and it's helped you. So get off your high horse and get signing. Oh and start packing while you're at it, tour starts in two weeks and you have rehearsals starting tomorrow." He helped me off the desk and ushered me out of his office. "If you need anything, call me. I'll have David pick you up tomorrow at nine."

I grumpily trudged out of the room and pouted back at him as he waved cheerfully.

"Remember, Elena, you're famous. This is exactly what you signed up for."

***

I woke up to the sound of my phone buzzing. Without looking I quickly answered.

"Hello?" I croaked. Great, rehearsal is going to go beautifully if I sound like this.

"Good morning love, did I wake you?" a familiar British voice slurred, "Figured I would just in case you forgot about our rehearsal today. Don't be late." I could hear the smirk in his voice as he hung up the phone. I just sat there staring at the number in disbelief. How did Harry Styles even get my number? And why the fuck did he find it so entertaining to keep contacting me?