4 - An Eternity of Misery

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 4: An Eternity of Misery
Word Count: 2402

Skylar and Stefan rounded the corner and Stefan tapped the tuning fork against the glass, causing it to vibrate and hurt Sybil.

"The all-powerful siren. Imprisoned by a fork." Skylar laughed in amusement.

"Says the girl who can be killed with a stick." Sybil shot back.

"Everyone can be killed with a stick!" Skylar pointed out, making Sybil roll her eyes. "Well, clearly except you, you freak of nature!"

"What is it about this thing that hurts you so much? And why does it hurt my kids?" Alaric questioned as he walked over.

"And here I thought you had me all figured out. Guess not." Sybil scoffed. Stefan rang the tuning fork again.

"If this disrupts your psychic ability, then why is Damon still your puppet?"

"I tinkered with the deepest reaches of his subconscious. If Damon's still serving me, it's because deep down, he wants to." Sybil informed.

"Why are you doing this to him?" Skylar frowned, worried for her uncle's well-being.

"It's all Damon, Damon, Damon." Sybil sighed. "Aren't you even a little curious about who I am?"

"No, actually. All I care about is how to save my brother." Stefan replied.

"Well, fortunately, the answer to your question is... a story. About me." Sybil told. "You like stories, don't you, Professor?"

"I prefer nonfiction." Alaric snapped.

"Well, then you'll love this one. A long time ago, in a little Mediterranean village, there was a girl. As she came of age, the village girl began to manifest psychic abilities, a trait that had been forbidden in her land for as long as anyone could remember. The fate of psychics was exile, which is how our poor, innocent, forsaken village girl ended up on a raft... the current carrying her into the rocks of a cold and distant shore. But abandoned though she was meant to be, alone she was not. There she met the girl of the island. Exiled together, connected in psychic ability, two sisters in everything but blood, destined from that moment to one day become... the sirens. So you see, Stefan, I understand why you would do anything for your brother. Because my sister will do anything for me."

"Will do? Present tense?" The observant Skylar furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

"Oh, did I forget to mention there are two of us? Me in here, and her out there." Sybil chuckled. Alaric took the tuning fork from Stefan and banged it, causing Sybil to gasp in pain. "Ugh! Would you please stop doing that? It is complete overkill."

"What do you mean, two sirens?" Alaric demanded angrily.

"I thought you were a scholar." Sybil rolled her eyes. "Every single mythological interpretation of who I am mentions sirens... plural."

"Well, those same myths also say that you should have the lower half of a bird." Skylar cut in. Sybil glanced at her and laughed.

"Well, luckily for us all, you can't believe everything that you read."

"Enough. Who is she?" Stefan asked. Sybil's smile only widened in response.

"Patience, Stefan. I promise you'll find out soon enough."

Alaric's cell phone then started ringing.

"It's Seline. You guys got this?"

"Yeah." Skylar nodded. Alaric walked off.