16 - While You Were Sleeping

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 16: While You Were Sleeping
Word Count: 3810

No one's POV

Ariana woke up alone in her dorm room. She sat up confusedly and looked around the room, wondering where everyone was.

"Hello?" She left her room to explore. No one answered, so she continued to explore the empty halls. "Hello?" The floor creaked. "Hello?"

"Hey. You're awake." A voice spoke, startling Ariana. She turned and saw that it was Stefan.

"Stefan. What are you doing here? Where is everyone?"

"Everyone's gone. The whole school cleared out for spring break. You've been in and out since you first woke up." Stefan informed in a softer tone.

"Oh. Okay. That makes sense. I thought I was going crazy." Ariana chuckled. "It's good to see you again, Stef. When I'm... me." She went to go hug Stefan, but she encountered a force field that prevented her from coming too close. "What's going on? Wh-why?"

"We had to seal you into the building. We've got a lot of catching up to do." Stefan sighed. "What's the last thing you remember?"

"The last thing I remember... I was running through the woods. M-my head felt like it was being attacked by Madeline's whole life. I saw Damon and I threw my arms around him... and... nothing." Ariana explained.

"Yeah... that was about three weeks ago." At Stefan's words, Ariana's eyes widened in surprise.

"Three weeks ago? Wow. Three weeks... yet it took just one second for Madeline to infect me with some virus that makes me want to kill all my friends."

"Oh yeah. You know Madeline... despite her good heart and kind soul, she always believed in 'fair play', I guess. She... wanted you to feel the same pain she's felt for 500 years: being ripped away from your loved ones." Stefan said. Since her death, his views had changed about Madeline. He should've trusted her. Maybe he could've prevented the outcome.

"Do you really think this whole lock-down is necessary?" Ariana chuckled nervously. "I mean, I feel fine."

"Look... we shouldn't take any chances. The virus makes you want to attack at the mere scent of vampire blood." Stefan reminded.

"How'd you know that?" Ariana wondered suspiciously.

"Damon has the same virus."

"Damon?!"

"We're... figuring it out..."

"Well, how did you...?" Ariana held her hand up to the force-field.

"Liv..."

"Liv?"

"She's a new witch. Bonnie's been teaching her some spells." Stefan muttered. "Look, I know this is a lot to process, but just know that Caroline's out, looking for the antidote, and in the mean time, we've figured out a way to ration blood to keep you satiated. We're going to figure this out, okay?"

"I need to talk to Damon." Ariana suddenly announced. "Please..."

---

Ariana called Damon, but when he eventually answered, it wasn't Damon on the phone.

"Damon's phone!"

"Jer?"

"Ari, hey. How are you feeling?"

"A little confused, but good. I miss you, and Elena."

"Same here. Someone wants to speak to you." Jeremy passed the phone to Damon.