3 - Age of Innocence

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 3: Age of Innocence
Word Count: 1779

Bonnie was sitting on the window seat in her dorm room at Whitmore College and writing in her diary.

Dear Ana,

Not to dive into the bad news first, but there's a severe drought of good news lately. And, well... this sort of concerns you. Lily's hiding your coffin somewhere. She promised to keep you safe as long as Damon stays out of Mystic Falls.

- B.Bennett

---

Skylar heard a crash coming from the room that Caroline was in, followed by two girly giggles from the next room. The Salvatore Heretic walked in to the next room to see Nora and Mary Louise, playing pranks on Caroline with their magic through the wall. Skylar smiled slightly, rolling her eyes.

"You guys are so mean."

"Aw, come on. Live a little, love." Nora smirked at her, leaning back on her elbows on the large bed.

"Whatever." Skylar giggled. "I think I just heard my mom go into Caroline's room. I'll be back." She hurried off, entering the next room to see Valerie talking to Caroline. "What's going on?"

"Sky!" Valerie jumped, spinning around to face her daughter with wide eyes as if she'd been caught in a crime. "You shouldn't be here. This is a private conversation."

"Why? What's so special about it?" Skylar frowned, confused and hurt that her own mother was leaving her out.

"It's nothing, sweetheart. Just g--"

"She has a right to know, Valerie." Caroline argued. "It involves her!"

"Really?" Skylar's attention was immediately grabbed. "That settles it. I'm staying. What're you guys even talking about?"

Valerie sighed as her blue eyes locked on Skylar's matching ones.

"Your father..."

"What was the deal with you and Stefan?" Caroline asked Valerie, who sat in a nearby chair and smirked at her.

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

"Okay, who the hell is Stefan?! He's my dad, and I don't know anything about him!" Skylar exclaimed, annoyed as she took a seat beside Valerie, who sent her a subtle look.

"This isn't the time, Skylar."

"You know what? You're right!" Caroline piped up again from her seat on the floor, causing both Skylar and Valerie to turn back towards her. "I'm already in enough pain. The last thing I need to think about is some girl who batted her eyelashes at Stefan, like, a million years ago."

"'Some girl'?" Valerie scoffed, amused. "I wasn't just some girl to him, Caroline. I was the first love of Stefan's life. I wasn't prepared for how taken I was with him. He was gorgeous and sweet..."

"And that's when you compelled him to write all those nice things about you in his journal. Spoiler! I've heard this story before, when a sweet, little orphan girl named Katherine Pierce waltzed into his life." Caroline snapped.

"I suppose that would have been easier had I actually had the ability to compel people." Valerie rolled her eyes. "I wasn't a vampire back then. I was just a witch, rejected from her coven for being an abomination of nature because I had no power of my own. The only magic I had was contained in an amulet, to be siphoned in times of need. It was the siphoning gift that I passed on to Sky a year later when she was born. She tapped into her magic at the age of 15, and I turned her when she reached my age, 20. So, despite me being her biological mother, we are the same age."