3 - Original Sin

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 3: Original Sin
Word Count: 3063

No one's POV

Elena suddenly sat up in bed, scared, as if from a nightmare and took deep breaths.

"Ugh..." Nathan groaned tiredly from beside her. "Lena, you've been tossing and turning all night. You must be exhausted." Elena closed her eyes as she passed her hands through her hair and took more deep breaths. Nathan looked at her and saw she was worried. "Hey. We were up all night. You're exhausted. Come back to sleep."

"I had a dream about Stefan." Elena informed.

"Oh." Nathan frowned.

"It was more than just a pit in my stomach this time, though. It was real. It was like I was there with him." Elena whispered. Noticing Nathan's jealous frown, she sighed. "I'm sorry... I know you're insecure about mine and Stefan's history, I shouldn't be talking about this with you..." Elena lay down on her side, beside Nathan.

"It's fine." Nathan replied. "Go on, you can tell me. I know you're dying to get it off of your chest."

"It was just so vivid." Elena whispered. "I saw Stefan walking out of this bar. It had a red awning and this broken neon sign, and he was screaming in pain."

"Oh, okay. Do you have an address?" Nathan wondered.

"Route 29. Joe's bar." A voice spoke from the doorway. Elena and Nathan rose from the bed to see Katherine standing at the bedroom door. "I think I had the exact same dream."

Elena and Katherine exchanged looks.

---

Downstairs, everyone was crowded in there. Katherine was leaning against the door frame, Elena and Ariana both sat on the couch, Nathan sat in the armchair, Nathan was leaning against the wall by the fireplace, Damon was pouring himself a drink, and Madeline just stood there in the room and stared at the ground in silence.

Elena, Nathan, and Katherine had informed Ariana, Damon, and Madeline about Stefan and about the dream.

"So, I've found 9 bars along Route 29, and none of them are called Joe's." Nathan spoke.

"I had a feeling that there was something wrong all summer, and I ignored it. But I was right! Stefan was in a safe, and probably killed whoever it was that found him... I know it sounds crazy, that I'm following some psychic dream, but it's the only lead that we have." Elena explained.

"It doesn't sound crazy, Lena..." Nathan reassured.

"Shotgun." Katherine cut in. "What? Mads and I get carsick in the back seat. Another charming, human side effect you stuck us with."

"Please tell me that she's not coming?" Ariana sighed. "Madeline, I can now deal with! But not the face of my sister, thanks."

"Trust me, I have no interest in Katherine's well-being, but for some reason, Silas and Nicholas want her and Madeline real bad, and if Silas and Nicholas want them, I want them more." Damon smirked.

"Can't we just stash them in the cellar? Or maybe a deep, dark well with a pair of water wings?" Elena suggested. Without even knowing why, Madeline felt herself flinch at the suggestion. Ariana sent her broken doppelgänger a sympathetic look.

"Do you really think that I wanna take a road trip with you, America's most boring, self-righteous vampire?" Katherine laughed, turning to Elena. "Just remember, Damon wouldn't have to play bodyguard if Ariana hadn't shoved that cure down my throat, or if you hadn't have done the same to my sister!"

"She was trying to kill me!" Elena defended herself.

"But look what you've done to her now!" Katherine yelled, gesturing over to a silent Madeline. "Look what you did to her! She is like this because of you! She never, ever deserved to feel the pain that she is clearly feeling now!"