18 - American Gothic

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 18: American Gothic
Word Count: 3144

No one's POV

Ariana sped into a street parking space with Rebekah in the passenger seat. They got out of the car.

"Why are we stopping?" Rebekah asked indignantly.

"We've searched three cities in the last 24 hours, I'm sick of Top 40 radio, and I smell like leather." Ariana complained, stretching her legs and fixing her jacket.

"And that's my fault? You are the one who stole the list of Madeline and Katherine's possible whereabouts, did you ever think that Damon had bad information?" Rebekah pointed out. Ariana took a look around the place before sending Rebekah a nonchalant look, followed by a sarcastic smile.

"Have I mentioned I can't stand the sound of your voice?"

"Too bad. We're not done. Get in, next town." Rebekah demanded. But Ariana had spotted a girl walking to her car nearby, causing the emotionless vampire to grin mischievously.

"In a minute. I'm hungry."

"We're not here for a pub crawl, Ari!" Rebekah groaned in frustration. "I want one of the cures, the Pierce twins have them. We don't stop until we find them."

"I said in a minute." Ariana snapped. "Don't make me snap your neck like I did Damon's. I'll just as easily shove you into the trunk of this bloody car."

Without waiting to hear a snarky reply from Rebekah, Ariana turned and sauntered confidently up to the human girl, who was putting stuff into the passenger seat of her car. Ariana made her jump by appearing next to her suddenly.

"Oh, my god, you startled me!"

"Did I?" Ariana smirked sweetly before vamping out and starting to go for the girl's neck.

"Madeline, what are you doing?" The girl suddenly asked, making Ariana freeze and take a step back. Realizing that the girl must have recently seen Madeline, Ariana decided to play along. She smiled fakely at the girl.

"You know me?"

"Of course! And I know most people around here prefer you to feed from the neck, but I asked you to drink from my wrist, remember?" The girl pulled back her sleeve and revealed two puncture marks.

"The conniving little bitch compelled the whole town." Rebekah laughed, walking closer.

"I think we just found the Pierce twins." Ariana smiled, exchanging a proud look with Rebekah, before turning to smile at the human girl again. "What's my full name?"

"Madeline Pierce." The girl replied. "I love the new 'do, by the way."

"So, how do you know Madeline?" Rebekah wondered. The girl glanced at her with a confused expression.

"How do I know who?"

"Me." Ariana said. "How do you know me?" The girl turned back to her and her confused expression vanished, smiling instead.

"Small town, everybody knows everybody."

"So everyone here knows Madeline? Does that mean that they know Katherine, too?" Rebekah questioned. Once again, the girl turned to her with a confused look.

"I'm sorry, I don't know who you're talking about."

"Madeline compelled people to forget all about her unless she's talking to them herself. Katherine has done the same, no doubt. Clever girls." Rebekah whispered to Ariana with a slight chuckle.

"Do I have a sister, by any chance? Same height, curled brown hair, cute button nose, doe brown eyes?" Ariana asked the human.

"Oh, you mean Katherine? Yes, you two are inseparable." The girl chuckled. Ariana nodded slightly before continuing her interrogation.