19 - Heart of Darkness

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 19: Heart of Darkness
Word Count: 3083

No one's POV

Ariana was sat at the Salvatore boarding house, thinking about what she should do.

Damon was going to go to Denver to pick Jeremy up, since everyone was now worried about Jeremy's safety. And... he had asked Ariana to come with him, in case they ran into trouble.

He had admitted that he didn't want anyone else to accompany him. He wanted Ariana, which put her into a bit of a dilemma.

Her friends didn't know that she was planning to leave town with Klaus. She was going to tell them eventually, so they could say their goodbyes, but then Damon got in the way, asking Ariana to accompany him across the country.

Ariana thought about her options carefully...

Travelling the world with Klaus? She'd surely never get bored. Klaus was so much fun to be around, and he cared so much for Ariana, giving her the attention that she didn't deserve, but craved. Klaus made Ariana feel like she was the only girl in the world. He treated her like a Queen... he gave her the love and attention that she only ever wished for. With him, it would've been real.

But travelling to Denver with Damon, and potentially missing her opportunity to travel with Klaus? Damon also cared for Ariana dearly. Out of all of her friends, Damon showed her the most attention. He'd choose her above everyone else. He honestly loved her. It'd be fun. Plus, it'd give her the chance to see Jeremy before she possibly left town for good. And if she went with Damon, there was a possibility that Klaus would still be waiting for her when she got back, and they'd still have an opportunity to leave town together.

Deciding that Ariana was just being too dramatic and thinking too much into it, she made up her mind on what she was going to do.

She stood up and left.

---

Klaus was busy packing his bags when Ariana entered the room. Klaus turned to her and smiled.

"Hello, love. Are you packed? We better leave before it gets d--"

"I can't." Ariana cut him off. "I can't go just yet... I'm sorry... my friends need me, and despite all that they've done, I have to be there for them, Nik. I'm really--"

"It's okay." Klaus reassured, sending Ariana a smile. "It works out just fine. You go and help your friends with whatever they need help with, I'll go tie up some loose ends, and you can call me whenever you are ready to leave. Okay?"

"Okay." Ariana smiled. "Thank you. I'll see you soon."

"See you soon, love." Klaus quickly kissed Ariana's forehead, before she left.

---

Ariana walked back into the Salvatore boarding house. She saw Damon, Nathan, Stefan, and Elena all stood in there.

"Hey." Damon greeted her with a genuine smile that not many people saw, and it made Ariana smile back.

"Hey."

"Have you ever flown first class?" Damon asked her, holding up two tickets.

"Who did you have to compel for that?" Ariana chuckled.

"Pft, please. I used miles." Damon scoffed.

He picked up the luggage and walked out the door. Ariana went to follow him, but Elena spoke up, stopping her.

"A? ...Be safe."

Ariana stared at her for a moment, before nodding once and walking out the door.

---