26

[ Mike ]

I sat at the lunch table trying not to talk to anyone. Of course this stupid ass school had to have a fucking bullshit pep rally for her.

And now everyone's eyes are on me.

People I've never even met are coming up and giving me stuff for her or telling me how nice she was.

I know how nice she was.

"Alright knock it off. Mike isn't that pretty." Eddie told the other guys.

They all stopped staring at me finally. I gave Eddie a small nod of appreciation to which he gave a soft smile then continued talking to the others.

.  .  .

I look like a whole fucking mess.

I wiped my eyes and splashed some water on my face to help myself a little bit before leaving the bathroom to go into the theater.

Everyone was talking and laughing.

So painfully happy.

I want to be with Y/n but Steve and Nancy insisted I go to this instead.

I got onto the stage and sat down in my usual seat at the opposite end of the table from Eddie.

"Now... Let's start. Shall we?" Everyone shouted around me while I stared at my stupid paper. I want to be with her.

Eddie started the campaign. Everyone was so immersed in the game. I tried to get into it. Maybe just to escape the guilt and sadness eating away at me.

Eventually I did. I even started smiling and laughing with them. Dustin was making jokes at every chance, all of which were funny enough to make the large theater full with laughter.

Lucas even missed practice to come to this campaign.

He wasn't as into it as he was but I was happy he was here.

.  .  .

"Mike, can you stay behind for a second."

I looked to Eddie for a moment before nodding. Dustin and Lucas said they'd wait outside for me. I nodded and walked back over to Eddie.

He got off the stage quickly to meet me. "How are you?" He asked, putting a hand on my shoulder. Eddie cares. He cares a lot.

"I... I don't know." My lip started to quiver and I quickly looked down to hide it. "How is she?"

"She's good. Her vitals are good." I nodded, still staring at the floor.

Eddie hugged me which was unexpected. We've fought so much this year I don't know how we are even still friends.

But I'm really glad we are.

And I'm starting to like hugs a lot more.