24

[ Mike ]

I stared down the old sewers. From outside you could see it change from Hawkins to the upside down. No wonder so much shit crawls into Hawkins so easily.

I clutched the bat as I walked in, making my way into the upside down. Going in was much more disorienting than coming back out.

I walked out the other end now facing the upside down version of the woods.

I stood there for a short moment before looking down at the ground. It didn't take long before finding a trail of fresh blood.

I followed it as quietly as I could to keep myself concealed but how good could I really be at that?

I walked and walked until finally I was brought to a rundown house. I opened the front door, walking in.

Part of me isn't scared.

If I make it out with her I will be happy but if she's already dead then I wouldn't try to put up a fight.

Why did it take her?

I walked up the old staircase carefully. The blood continued down the hall to a room with its door torn off the hinges.

I walked in, slowly looking around.

There was quiet crying that brought me to look under the bed. "Y/n?" I whispered. Her head snapped in my direction. She gasped, crawling out from under the bed.

She grasped me tightly, sobbing into my shirt. "We have to go now. It'll come back soon. Please-"

A loud creaking downstairs made the entire house go still. Y/n's eyes widened as she hurried to get back under the bed.

I went with her, pulling the bat in with me. It was suffocating. The creaking continued up the stairs, the house whining at the size of the creature.

Y/n clutched my shirt, her nails digging into my stomach. I hugged her closer to me and shut my eyes.

If you can't see it, it can't see you.

The heavy footfall stopped outside the door. I held my bat tight in one hand. Please pass. Please.

Y/n was trembling against me as we waited. There was no noise. The house was entirely still.

I opened my eyes and looked out from under the bed.

My eyes were met with another pair. I stared back at it for a moment before it threw the bed off of us. Y/n screamed, setting the creature off.

I swung hard as I lunged forward.

The impact caused a loud, unsettling crunch of bones, the squeals of pain from the creature, then me shouting at Y/n to leave.

We both got up and she ran past me to the door. It's head snapped towards me and I swung again. The force I was using sent a buzzing pain through my arms.

The creature fell back and I turned, running after Y/n.

I jumped down the steps three at a time. I didn't bother to look back as loud clattering and footsteps pounded behind me. I could see Y/n running, not fast enough.

I shut the door on the thing and turned back to Y/n.

She fell into the leaves, holding her ankle. I quickly caught up and got a glimpse back at the door.

"We have to go. It's not far. Please." I looked back again as it started breaking the door slowly to get out.

I grabbed her, sacrificing the bat to carry her the rest of the way. Y/n cried in pain as I ran with her towards the exit.

Will it follow us out?

The adrenaline helped me as I neared the sewers. I looked back at the creature running at us quickly. I ran through the water, ignoring the squishing and things pouring into my shoes as I trudged through.

Finally the other side. I walked through, inhaling the sweet scent of real fresh air.

I turned back to see if it would follow. I watched intently for a moment but nothing happened. The sewer was dark. Incredibly dark and silent.

I started panting, looking back at Y/n.

She continued to cry and I finally got the chance to see what was wrong. Her ankle was torn to shreds. Exposing bone and muscles. "What happened?" I whispered.

"I stepped in a bear trap." She cried, halfway passed out.

I swallowed hard to keep my food down as I walked towards our houses. I walked up the steps to her house slowly, kicking the door with my foot.

It quickly swung open to her parents who were crying as they took her from me. I looked back as several people came out of my house across the street.

Y/n's dad grabbed me in a tight hug. He thanked me repeatedly to which I stayed silent.

My head had started to hurt again and I wasn't sure if I could stay awake much longer. I left my shoes outside so I could go in. I didn't make it far as I collapsed onto the ground.

[ Narrator ]

Eleven went into the kitchen where Y/n was. Dustin and Lucas sat with Mike and Y/n's dad as Mike had a seizure on the floor.

They couldn't be sure if it was monster induced or because of the head injury.

Max distracted Y/n's mom as Eleven forced the entity out. Y/n lost consciousness from the pain the second Eleven started.

It was a short quick process as she got the parasite out entirely. It landed on the floor and she used the last of her strength to kill it.

To fully kill it.

The night was full of so many emotions. So much confusion and relief. Y/n was treated at the hospital. Mike was confined to his room where his friends took care of him.

Eleven and Max slept in Nancy's room. Eleven exhausted from exerting so much energy that day.

But as the days passed and everyone started to recover one was left behind.

Y/n didn't wake up.

Not a day later. Not even a week later.

And so as Mike recovered he spent each passing day by her side. Waiting for when she woke up.