Lanterns

(POV:Reader)

We sat on a boat, Eugene was rowing while Pascal and I sat at the front looking at the sky, who's colors were slowly changing as the sun went down.

-"Hey Max!" Eugene threw a sack of apples at Maximus who just looked at Eugene skeptically.

-"What? I bought them..." Maximus began to eat them happily.

-"Most of them" I gave Eugene a 'really' look and he shrugged.

-"Where are we going?" I asked.

-"Well, best day of your life, I figured you should have a decent seat"

-Hours Later-

Night had descended, the sky was pitch black, with the exception of the faint light coming from the moon and stars. Thoughts about having to go back home, being stuck in the tower, never being able to get out filled my head.

-"You okay?"

-"I'm terrified," I admitted, my voice just above a whisper.

-"Why?"

-"I've been looking out a window for 18 years, dreaming about what it might feel like when those lights rise in the sky"

-"What if it's not everything that I dreamt it would be?"

-"It will be"

-"And what if it is?"

-"What do I do then?"

-"Well, that's the good part, I guess, you get to go find a new dream"

-"I guess" I sighed out, looking back up at the sky.

The lanterns hadn't gone up yet, so we took some flowers out of my hair and placed them in the water, watching as they floated away slowly. Until I noticed a small little light reflecting onto the water, I looked up and saw the first lantern. I rushed to the end of the boat, holding onto the side to get a better look.

It was beautiful, after one lantern went up the rest followed, shining a bright golden yellow. They illuminated the sky, shining brighter than the stars. I turned to Eugene and he was holding two lanterns. I walked from the side of the boat to the center, sitting on the seat staring at the two lanterns in his hands.

-"I have something for you" I pulled out the satchel, handing it over to him.

-"I should have given it to you before, but I was scared"

-"But, the thing is, I'm not scared anymore"

-"You know what I mean?" I held it out to him, but he pushed it down.

-"I'm starting to" he handed me the lantern.

We let them go at the same time, watching them as they went up joining the other's. I stared out at the lanterns, and noticed one was falling close to the water. I reached forward trying to reach it and once I had it I pushed it up into the sky.

Eugene reached over for my hand, I looked at him. I sat up from looking at the side, to face him and he reached over caressing my cheek then moving a strand of hair from my face. He reached towards me, closing his eyes slowly as I did the same...but he stopped. I looked at him as he was staring at something behind me.

-"Is everything okay?" I asked.

-"Huh? Oh! Yes"

-"Yes, of course, I just..."

He had moved the boat towards the edge, I was still a bit confused on what he looked so worried about. He seemed a bit hesitant and off. Once we got to the edge he hopped out and moved the boat closer to the edge so it wouldn't move.

-"I'm sorry, everything is fine" he 'assured'.

-"There is just something I need to do now" he told me, holding the satchel in his hands.

-"...okay"

-"I'll be right back" with that said he walked away.

(A/N):

So I'm still a bit stuck in my writers block, turns out having everything planned wasn't going to help me too much. I'm really sorry, but I'll try my best to get out of it!

I hope you enjoyed the chapter!

Bye!