Chapter 23: Armory & Hospital

JAVI POV

Me, Gabe and Ava head to the armory in hopes to get some guns.

We arrive outside the building.

Ava: Stay frosty, gents.

Gabe: What's that mean?

Javi: Like "stay cool", buddy.

A New Frontier soldier guards the building.

Ava: Looks like Bob's on duty. I'll distract him away from the door and meet you inside. There might be more of them.

Ava walks up to Bob.

Javi: Remember what I said about staying cool.

Gabe: I've done this before, Javi.

Javi: No, you haven't, Gabe. Not really. Some decisions, you make them in a split second and then have to carry them the rest of your life. You understand?

Gabe: Yeah. I think I do. How can we trust Ava that she won't turn us in? Can we really trust her?

Javi: Your father trusts her. And we trust him, right?

Gabe: Yeah.

Javi: Then we should be okay. I hope.

Gabe: How do you know when you can trust someone? I feel like I've never really known anyone other than you and Kate, Mariana and what I remembered of my dad.

Javier: Trustworthy people trust other people. The ones who don't trust anybody? Those are the ones who screw you over. It's Psych 101.

Gabe: What's that mean?

Javi: Guess it doesn't mean anything anymore.

Ava and Bob walk away.

Javi: I think we're up. She sure is a big help.

I open the door. Me Gabe enter the building.

Armory

Javi: Ava said it'd be this way.

Gabe: It's down here. The guns are through that door.

Javi: (tries to open door) Locked. No time to look for a key, either. (picks up fire extinguisher) Have to do this the hard way.

I smash the door open with the nearby fire extinguisher. Me and Gabe enter the armory room. I take my backpack and baseball bat. I hand a gun to Gabe.

Javi: Put these in your bag.

I put a pistol in the duffel bag.

Gabe: We've never done this before. Just you and me. We make a pretty good team, right? The uncle/nephew one-two punch!

Javi: Yeah, we do.

Ava enters the room.

Ava: Heh. Sorry to scare you. When we get back to Eleanor's, we need to talk to those people about doing the right thing by this place. I'll meet you at the entrance.

Y/N POV

Me and Clem are snuggling and still waiting for Lingard to wake up.

Clem: When will this fuck wake up?

Y/N: Remember Clem we need to be patient.

Clem: I know but I just want to know.

Y/N: I know.

Clem sits up in pain.

Clem: Ahhh.

Y/N: What's wrong?