Kuro | Blue Jay

You turn your wrist over to check the time, sighing loudly, before plopping on the ground, an arm resting on your raised leg.

Your best friend Kuro promised to meet you at Hibiya Park after practice to show you something "cool" as he puts it, but he's nowhere to be seen. In fact, he's twenty minutes late. You're only forgiving because he's usually never late, so he must have a reason this time around.

"(Y/NNN)!" Kuro shouts from across the park. He's running toward you at full speed, a broad smile written across his face, his arms stretched wide as if he's getting ready to hug the life out of you.

"Geez, Kuro... you really don't have to hug me every time you see me," you mumble against his uniform. When you were still getting to know him, every time he tried to hug you, you would dodge it. It always resulted in a pouting male and an "aww...," but you didn't care.

At least, that's what you kept telling yourself.

You eventually gave in and hugged him back one day, which he was very happy about, so much so that he shared it with the rest of the Ayakashi guys. A bit embarrassing on your part, especially since Toichiro gave you the nickname "Kuro's warm hugger" because of that.

"I know, but I want to! Hugging you makes me feel even happier than I already am!" he exclaims, letting you go shortly after.

"So, what did you need to show me? All I see are trees... some birds... bushes... kids..." you say, looking around and scanning the surroundings, "...water... ducks..."

"Wow, you're a good guesser; you named the thing I wanted to show you."

Your face scrunches up. "Huh? What is it?"

"Guess! It's mostly blue with some black, and it's soft."

"Well, from my list, it has to be either a duck or a bird. Pretty sure I don't see a blue tree or a blue kid..."

He laughs. "They can be blue if you paint them."

"Okay, fair enough."

"Final guess?"

"Hmm... I'm gonna go with a bird. Just because I saw a blue bird earlier."

"Ding, ding! A prize for you, lovely."

In his open palms lie a blue jay plushie, the same one he has perched in his room. You pick it up and tilt your head at it. The more you stare at the small bird, the cuter it looks with its beady, black eyes. "It's... um, cute..." you mumble, choosing your words carefully as to not show your true excitement.

"Hehe, isn't it?! I bought you one of my favorites since I saw how much you liked it!"

"What do you mean by 'saw how much you liked it'?"

Kuro quickly puts a hand over his mouth, eyes widened, and shakes his head. "Aw... I just exposed myself."

"What?! What is it?!" You tug onto his shirt, frowning. You're sorting through your jumbled mind, trying to recall any recent embarrassing moments. The only one you can think of is falling asleep on his bed one afternoon while waiting for him to finish putting away the groceries, waking up to see his handsome face hovering over yours.

"Remember that day when you fell asleep on my bed?" he asks, waiting for you to slowly nod, "Well, you were snuggled up with my blue jay plushie, and you had the cutest smile on—mmfph?!"

"D-Don't finish your sentence." You turn away from him, breathing in and out quietly, calming your rapidly beating heart, before facing him again with a blank stare (well, hopefully it appears that way).

You retreat your hand from his lips, only to get pulled into a familiar hug. The comforting scent of sweet caramel with a hint of chocolate fills your senses. Unconsciously, you close your eyes and further lean into his body.

"Hehe. You know, you're very cute when you get flustered like this," he teases.

-♡-

This one-shot is inspired by the blue jay plushie that's in Kuro's room. I adore plushies a lot and always have to restrain myself from buying them when I'm out shopping lol.