Kyonosuke | Well Wishes

Festivals are never a bore. You love them so much that there hasn't been one festival you haven't attended, which easily gives you the title of "Festival Freak" among your group of friends. There's something exciting about the happily chattering people and the smell of grilled food wafting through the air.

Tonight's festival, however, is even more exciting and joyful since you're celebrating your boyfriend's birthday.

"C'mon, slow poke! We're almost there!" you raise your voice over the loud talking and laughter. Kyonosuke sighs wearily, wondering where all your energy is coming from. Then again, he shouldn't be surprised; it has been a few years of knowing an energetic ball of sunshine like you.

"I tend to forget how energetic you are..." he mumbles to himself, allowing you to drag him around to wherever you please. He doesn't mind it too much, though since you're introducing him to intriguing places that he has been enjoying. More importantly, you're having fun.

"Ta dah! The goldfish scooping game!" You gesture to the mini pond filled with a variety of goldfishes. He peers into the rippling waters, his eyes setting on a particular fish.

"Oh, hello! Welcome, welcome! Would you like to play?" a woman asks excitedly, looking between the two of you. "First five scooping nets are free for first time players."

"Ah, yes," he replies. He divides the nets, giving you two as he also gets two. The last one is placed in the middle. "Are you prepared, (Y/N)?"

You nod aggressively, a determined look etched on your face. Your boyfriend chuckles and quietly stares at the pond for a while, watching the goldfishes swim around—some frantically dashing away due to the other players' scooping nets.

On the other hand, you take your first attempt, trying to catch a goldfish in a swift and careful manner. Not to your surprise, you instantly fail due to the netting breaking. All the years of goldfish scooping has always led to an ultimate fail on your part; it seems this game is just not your cup of tea.

But perhaps it'll be his.

Your second attempt is also fruitless. Pouting, you turn to the quiet male to see how he's faring, only to see him laughing at you and your failures. "Okay, okay, I get it. I suck at this game." You sigh and move closer to him, pointing at the net in his hand. "So let's see you have a go at it!"

"Don't expect too much, though. This is my first time, after all. Go easy on me, will you?"

"Yeah, yeah. You're gonna be a pro at this game. I just know it."

He smiles faintly at the confidence you have for him. That's one of the reasons why he fell for you: your unconditional support and faith that you have for him never stops, even if he's the one losing during that moment.

Just simply hearing your energetic "go, kyonsuke, go!" and seeing the broad smile on your face gives him an extra boost of determination as his brows begin to scrunch up, indicating his concentration. You quiet down and resort to raising your fists in the air, watching him follow the goldfish around with his net.

Just as the net is close to breaking, he scoops up the goldfish at an angle and drops it in the empty bowl. The people around you clap and cheer for the male as he simply bows with a small smile. The vendor puts the fish in a clear bag and ties it with a cute ribbon. "Here you are, sir! Congratulations!"

"Yay, I knew you could do it! Now you have your very own pet goldfish."

He stares at the goldfish swimming around in the bag for a while, a hand under his chin, before directing his gaze to you. "Come and stand in front of me," he says, stepping back a bit to leave a space for your form.

Gasping in excitement, you stand in the space, laughing softly upon feeling his arms wrap around your form, holding you into place. His gloved hands wrap around yours, guiding your net to the pond. "Which one are you aiming for?" he asks.

You hum in thought, scanning your eyes across the pond of goldfish. "That little guy over there!" You point to a fish that's completely opposite of what he got—this one is much more gentle with the way it's moving across the water in a relaxing and steady manner.

Kyonsuke fixates his attention onto the goldfish you desire and nods. "Ready?" he whispers in your ear. You nod, too excited to reply back.

With his firm hands enveloping yours, he guides you around the pond carefully. Your eyes sparkle, enjoying the experience of finally not having your net break so quickly. It's obvious patience is a trait needed for a game like this, which is something your energetic and easily excitable self can't do at a festival.

Just before the goldfish can escape, he dives the net into the water at an angle, successfully catching it and putting it into the bowl. You turn around and hug the life out of the closed-eyed male. "You're the best, Kyonosuke! Now I can always have you close to me, yay!"

"Hm? What do you mean by that?" he questions. You retrieve the bag from the vendor and gently hug the bag, smiling warmly at the male.

"I chose this one because it reminded me of you. And I'm gonna name it Kyonosuke!"

His eyes widen, obviously not expecting that answer, let alone for you to do the same thing he did. He looks down at the bag that he's holding, making eye contact with the energetic fish. He must be dreaming, but he's sure he sees the fish seemingly smiling up at him.

"And I'm going to name this small goldfish after my favorite person," he murmurs with a small smile, heading to a food stall that's selling takoyaki with you following next to him.

"It's obviously me, right?!" you ask, hugging his arm, careful to not shake the bag too much. You don't want to hurt your goldfish Kyonosuke.

"Hmm... who knows?"

-♡-

I just recently got around to finishing up Kyonosuke's birthday one-shot since it's finally Christmas break, woo hoo! Happy birthday to the Onikiri Captain!

The recent Tied with Bows of Love event had such a lovely Aoi SSR. Kuya's SSR from the draw was also so pretty. Haven't read the event story yet, but I already know it's going to be so cute!!