Gaku | Rainy Reminders

Trudging home after an interminable and exhausting day usually would make you feel happy since you'll get to have a quick dinner and then sleep for the rest of the day. But today has been so awful that even going home isn't putting you in high spirits.

You often enjoy volunteering to help out the store owners and vendors whenever you have time to after school. In fact, you're known as "parent number two" within your group of Ayakashi friends, with Aoi being "parent number one." While Aoi excels in activities such as cooking, cleaning, sewing, etc., your cup of tea lies in being the support system—giving advice, listening, and being patient.

Generally, volunteering doesn't go awfully, but the new shop you helped at an hour prior has the worse owner ever. Seeing as it's a new store, you wanted to make the owner feel welcomed and comforted. Initially, she was respectful and appeared cheerful. But once you accidentally made a simple mistake of putting an item in the wrong shelf, she immediately berated you and used harsh language.

Before leaving, she hardly gave you a second glance as she muttered a, "Good riddance."

Heaving a sigh, you look up at the sky with a frown. "Today's just not my day, huh."

As if on cue, light raindrops begin to trickle down, and before you know it, you're drenched from head to toe. Compared to the woman's words toward you, some rain is nothing, so you continue walking home. Only this time, you're walking at a much slower pace.

"Hey, what are you doing?" a familiar voice calls out from nearby. You turn to the source and see Gaku crouched down in front of a closed store, using the store's unique roof design to shield himself from the heavy rain pour. A wooden toy house is placed in between his legs.

"Gaku..." is all you can murmur. You both stare at each other in silence for a while before he sighs loudly.

"What are you still standing there for? You do know you're in the rain, right...? You're gonna catch a cold." He gestures for you to come to him.

"Right. Thanks."

As you're squeezing out some water from your outfit and hair, you can't help but feel rattled by his intent gaze. He's so quiet and focused on you that you decide to tease him a bit; you fling some water at him and grin.

"Hey! Not cool. I'm obviously under here to not get wet," he scolds, his one eye closing to avoid the water.

You laugh softly. "My bad."

Gaku directs his attention up ahead, his voice now gentle and cautious. "What's up?" he asks.

"The roof, what else?"

"Ugh. I knew it was either you or Kuro who taught my brother such lame jokes."

You simply smile, leaning your head back with closed eyes. "The rain is really pouring today, huh..."

"Mhm..." he mumbles. This time, he looks at you—his face much more serious than usual. "Look, I'm not gonna force you to tell me anything, but just know that I'm always around if you ever need anything, got it?"

Upon hearing his words, your eyes flutter open slowly, and you turn to him. Gaku's stare remains unwavering. Although the Ayakashi can be blunt at times, you know he truly cares for those around him and only wants the best for them. Standing here and hearing his words of reassurance is comforting, and you find yourself smiling faintly.

"Yeah... thanks."

-♡-

One of my all time favorite tropes is the classic "comforting words/confession on a rainy day."