Aftermath

Once again, This Author has been proven correct. Country house parties can result in not only the most surprising of betrothals but also the most sorrowful interactions.

Yes indeed, Dear Reader, you are surely reading it here first: Viscount Bridgerton is to marry Miss Kathani Sharma. Not Miss Edwina Sharma, who he'd been engaged to and almost married some weeks ago, but Miss Edwina's own sister, Miss Kathani.

However, in a surprising turn of events, this is not the most shocking encounter that transpired last night.

No Dear Reader, we must turn to another for this rather juicy story. To none other than, Miss Penelope Featherington. I have it on good authority that Miss Featherington was seen in the company of a Mr. Colin Bridgerton. The two seemed quite enamored with one another and even shared a dance in the evening.

Whispers of the two possibly courting were heard through out the night but alas, as the night drew to a close, it ended in a rather tearful exit by Miss Penelope. As to what caused such an emotional response in the Miss, is a mystery indeed. Though This Author has heard that it very well could have been the fact that she overheard the gentleman in question declaring rather loudly for all to hear that he, Colin Bridgerton, would never dream of courting Penelope Featherington.

Poor girl indeed.

LADY WHISTLEDOWN'S SOCIETY PAPERS, 11 MAY 1814

Penelope didn't want to let the whole ton know of her embarrassment. The news she had wanted to announce from the night before was Anthony and Kate's engagement. But she had already been seen leaving the party in tears and could hear people whispering about what scandalous event had caused such a scene in someone so reserved. So, she'd had no choice but to announce the truth.

Colin Bridgerton had broken her heart. And in public no less. Not that it was his fault entirely. He was not aware of her presence when he said what he did and he certainly didn't know the effect it would've had on her. But nevertheless it had hurt. She thought they had progressed in their relationship, he had protected her and her family the previous night. He danced with her and told her she was special to him. But she had been wrong. She wanted to blame the universe for cursing her with enough bad luck to not only have been caught by Eloise but also stumble upon Colin laughing at the very idea of courting her. But she figured she was truly the one at fault.

Penelope shook the tears from her eyes as they threatened to drop onto the pages that sat before her. She'd already had to rewrite them 4 times and she couldn't bare a 5th. She took a deep breath and folded the papers before placing them in the dress to give to the modiste. After she was finished closing the box, she sat on her bed and began contemplating her next moves. She had hurt Eloise and she needed to figure out a way to make amends. She hadn't wanted to hurt Eloise but she couldn't let the Queen destroy her dearest friend for something she had done.

The only solution she could come up with, besides revealing her own identity as the author in question, was to make Eloise the subject of a scandal. She regretted it terribly but the damage had already been done and now it was time to fix what she had broken. Or at least try to. But as she forced her thoughts to focus on the problem with Eloise, her mind betrayed her and flashed a familiar pair of blue eyes in her memory. Colin.

Penelope sighed, got off the bed, and walked to her window. She peered out of it and looked across the courtyard to the Bridgerton home. How she yearned to be inside it's walls and be close to him again. Just one more time. Penelope shook the thought from her head. She couldn't bare to see him. To hear his laugh and not be reminded of him laughing at her with his friends. It was too much, so she would have to avoid him at all costs. Now if only her heart didn't shutter at the thought.