Demands

Colin Bridgerton was absolutely miserable. It had been a week and three days since he had proposed to Penelope Featherington, and it had been a week and three days since she had rejected said proposal. No? What did she mean "No."? He asked himself as he laid, wide awake, in his room. He thought she'd be ecstatic at his proposal but she had simply said "No." and walked out of the library.

It had taken him several moments to comprehend what she had said before he went to look for her. But when he returned to the ball he could not find her anywhere. He finally swallowed his pride and asked Eloise if she had seen her. Eloise then informed him that Penelope had just left, complaining of a headache. He tried to call on her the following day but the Featherington butler, Briarly, had informed him that she was not in.

She was subsequently "not in" the following four days as well. She even missed the weekly tea his mother hosted on Monday. It was quite apparent to him that she was avoiding him. He just didn't know why. Why was it so hard to understand what she was thinking or feeling? He cursed women for being so damned complicated.

Colin tried tirelessly to sleep but it was no use. For the past week and three days he hadn't been able to sleep. All because of Penelope. Sometimes, like tonight, it was because he was consumed by thoughts of why she had rejected him. Other nights, most nights he had concluded, it was because he was desperate with need for her body.

He spent night after tireless night remembering what it was like to be with her. To feel her lush and soft body pressed against him, feeling her perfectly plump lips on his. His hands ached to touch her bare breasts again, to feel her nipples harden under his palms. He was rabid with needing to hear her moans.

He wanted to hear his name ripped from her mouth when he did something she particularly liked. His erection throbbed at the thought of sinking into her, filling her with everything he had. Making her quicken beneath him until she reached the very heights of pure pleasure. But God, more than anything he craved her touch. Most nights he found himself pleasuring himself to the thought of her hands touching his body.

He was terrified that he had yet again ruined everything with his unfiltered words. He had gone over absolutely everything he had said that night. Trying, desperately, to find anything that would explain why she had responded the way she did. But he came up with nothing.

Colin cursed under his breath again. He ripped the covers off of himself and left his room to go outside. He was becoming claustrophobic and needed some air. He decided he would go to the gardens. When he got there he realized he was not alone.

Benedict and Eloise were sitting on the swings passing a cigarette back and forth to each other as they swayed. Colin slowly approached them so he could get a gist of the conversation.

"I just don't know what I'm doing anymore. I was passionate about art and I thought I was decent. I mean I didn't think I was Da Vinci, by any means, but I thought I had something. But now I just don't know anymore." Benedict said taking a drag of the cigarette before passing it to Eloise. Colin heard her groan.

"Benedict you are so impossible. You are talented. Who cares of how you got into that dumb school. Be grateful you can go to it. Men are always complaining about all the opportunities they have. It's annoying." Eloise huffed and handed the cigarette back. Colin cleared his throat and both of them spun around. Benedict stomped out the cigarette quickly before groaning.

"Colin, what the devil are you doing out here." Benedict hissed under his breath. Colin chuckled and made his way over to them before sitting in the grass in front of Eloise. He shrugged.

"Same as you lot, I suppose. Can't sleep." He collapsed on his back as he sighed. Part of him was disappointed they were here, but another part was happy. Maybe they could give some insight into his predicament.