Chapter 14

Waking up to a pounding headache with a scratchy throat wasn't the best way to wake up

It felt like my eyes were glued shut because no matter how many times I tried to open them they just wouldn't budge. Scrunching my eyes together a few times, I tried again and was met with a dimly lit bedroom.

Through my blurry vision, I saw a figure sitting in a chair near the foot of the bed. It was then the memories of what happened earlier came back to me. I shot up in the bed and immediately felt dizzy.

Definitely shouldn't have done that.

The man that sat in the chair rushed towards me and I became panicked. My vision being foggy didn't help my discomfort.

"Arya, it's me."

I calmed down at the sound of Adriano's voice. He caressed the side of my cheek and softly lifted my gaze to his.

"My throat hurts,"

"Here, drink some water," He handed me the glass of water with the packet of Advil.

I gulped the water down and swallowed the two pills hoping for a quick relief from this headache.

"Thank you," I offered a weak smile. "What happened with those men? Who were they?"

"Those men were..." He paused and hesitated. "....handled."

"Handled how?" I asked. I definitely knew they were dead, I know the way he operates but I had to act clueless and naive.

"I'll explain everything when you're feeling a little better."

I wonder how much he'll actually tell me. Just then a older gentleman walked in wearing a white coat. Adriano lifted my chin and gave me a quick kiss.

"This is Dr. Bianchi, he's just here to make sure you're okay." He stepped to the side to give Dr. Bianchi space to get to me.

"Good Morning Ms. Cane, I'm here to do a check up. Your vitals have been normal throughout the night but I'm just going to double check.

It was during the checkup that I realized I had an IV in my arm. Once everything was done, the doctor removed the needle.

"Apart from the dizziness and nausea you'll feel throughout the day, everything is fine, just keep hydrated and get lots of rest." He turns to Adriano. "If her pupils start to dilate or she has trouble breathing contact me immediately."

"Thank you,"

The doctor just nodded and exited the room. I stifled a big yawn but Adriano caught it.

"You heard the doctor, rest."

"But I just woke up."

"Arya, you're getting rest." He said before shrugging off his jacket and unbuttoning his dress shirt.