Chapter 11

Going up the stairs I found the bathroom immediately

Going up the stairs I found the bathroom immediately. I splashed some water on my face and looked in the mirror. I looked radiant on the outside, but I honestly didn't feel like it. I needed to separate my feelings from this job. I'm treading through dangerous waters here.

After I got done with my business in the bathroom I stepped outside and saw a room across the hall that looked like his office.

Listening closer to downstairs, I heard the water running so he must've still been doing the dishes and cleaning up.

The door to the office was ajar and from where I was standing I saw his desk with a large family portrait painting on the back wall of his office. I walked over to the office and pushed the door to get in.

I hastily looked around on his desk and saw a few files and paperwork. Stuff that could be of importance or business related. I shifted a few of the documents to see if anything caught my eye.

Alberto Romano and a few other names were recognized. I took photos of what I could and tried to set everything back up the way it was.

As I was about to exit, I saw a document that looked a lot like a contract. Again on the contract Alberto Romano's name was on it, I skipped through and took photos of everything I could.

Shoving my phone in my back pocket, I listened closely again and didn't hear the water downstairs running anymore. I heard the floor creek behind me and my heart started racing.

"This isn't the bathroom Arya," Adriano's deep voice startled me. I turned around to face him. His face was serious and I couldn't tell what he was thinking.

"I'm sorry I'm being nosy, but I was coming out of the bathroom and saw this painting and I had to take a closer look. I paint on the side as well so I was intrigued."

Zeanna paints on the side actually, so not a total lie.

My face looked calm on the outside but I was shitting bricks on the inside.

Adriano just looked at me, his silence was torture. His eyes never left mine, I kept calm and didn't show how my nervousness.

"I didn't mean to overstep, I just got curious about the painting," I said to him. I tried to side step and walk out of the room.

He held my arm and brought me back in front of him.

"Stay here," He said before walking off to the side.

I was sure he didn't see me on his desk but I wasn't confident. I had no idea what he was thinking.

About 30 seconds later I feel his presence next to me and I see him put the painting in my view.

"Here, for a better look." He handed the painting over to me. "You're not the only person who's been curious about it."

He stood behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist, his cheek rested on top of my head. As much as I wanted to enjoy this, I knew I had to force myself not to. Getting involved with him would only end badly.

"It really is beautifully painted, who made it?" I asked.

"An old family friend, he was quite the painter back in Italy. Sadly he passed away a few months ago."

"I'd love to see some more of his work if you don't mind,"

"I don't mind, but unfortunately the others are with my mother in Italy."

"That's okay," I turned to him and handed back the painting. "Thank you."

"So when am I gonna see some of your work?" He took the painting and hung it back up. I was glad he bought my excuse.

"I kinda gave up on painting, all of the pieces I made was given to the orphanage I grew up in." More like my parents have them hung up in their house.

"Why did you give it up?"

"It couldn't pay the bills and I had to put all my focus into school for an actual degree that wouldn't take me a long time to break into. I loved making art, but eventually it became a hobby, then I just stopped all together."  This was the truth.

"I hope that passion that you had for it returns. I'm sure your work was phenomenal."

"My work was okay, I wasn't Van Gogh."

"Don't do that, don't downplay."

I nodded and smiled at him. He's so supportive even though he never even saw a glimpse of my work.

"I want more of your lasagna," I pushed out my bottom lip.

He leaned forward and sucked on it. Which took me by surprise. It felt like the butterflies doubled in my tummy and the heat between my legs was starting up again. He pulled back and pecked my lips.

"Let's get you some more food," He held my hand and pulled me down the stairs to the kitchen.

Adriano cut two pieces of the lasagna and brought them over. We sat, ate and talked for a while. We even went back for thirds. It was so easy being around him, he was being really sweet and not like the actual Adriano we knew he was.

Thinking about that is kinda scary, because one of these days he could easily flip and get rid of me, especially if he finds out who I really am.

There are paperwork on top of paperwork back at our department of Adriano and the shit he's done. Goons who he's supplied weapons to have been killing many people, innocent civilians and children.

Ever since he's moved his business to the US. Drugs have been easier to access because of how much of it there is. It's even been getting to the hands of the youths. But I doubt he even cares about that, anything to make money. It's business, regardless of whose life gets fucked up.

There's regular shipment of contraband that's being imported from Italy often, businesses that are being infiltrated, extortion, labor racketeering and I don't even want to speak about the unnecessary murders that he's committed. Innocent people get killed just because he's having a bad day.

I wonder what he meant when he said he wanted to run his business they way he wanted to? He doesn't seem to be doing anything horrible lately, which is a good thing but that doesn't change all the shit that he's done.

Nobody has ever gotten concrete evidence to take him down yet, Adriano's smart. That's where I come in.

And even after everything that I know, I'm still sitting here being all cute and romantic with him. What the fuck is wrong with me?

My pussy shouldn't be getting wet for this criminal.

But I just can't help it, he's been nothing but a great person to me since we've met. He's considerate and supportive too, how could I not get butterflies when he's around?

Why the fuck can't I see him for what he is and separate my feelings?