party games

late night talking 

The sound of the waves crashing on the shoreline sends me into a dreamlike haze as I stare into the horizon.

Behind me, the party was nearly dead.

Good, I don't feel like going back anyways.

"Hey!"

I turn my head slightly to see them jogging towards me.

We were all sitting in a circle, somehow in their drunken state and me trying to step outside of my comfort zone, we ended up playing truth or dare, which was completely pointless on my behalf.

I was too chicken to accept the dare & the "truths" just turned into a game of teasing me about my experience, specifically my lack thereof.

It's finally my turn to pick a dare.

Think of something that won't involve you.

"Hurry up!"

"Fine, I dare you to kiss the prettiest girl in the room."

They look around for a moment before turning around to me.

"Ok."

Then he leans closer and before my brain has a chance to process what's going on, something warm and soft brushes my lips.

The room is silent.

"Ok, who's next?"

He moves back to his place on the floor, but I'm still frozen. The rest of the night continues in a blur.

"Hey!"

They're voice is closer. But I've turned back around.

He comes to stand beside me.

Gosh, why can't he take a hint?

"Nice night out."

I take a moment before responding.

"Yeah, it's beautiful out here."

"I know."

His response causes me to turn towards him only to find him already looking at me.

"You know it's not ethical to lie."

"What do you mean?"

"Back there, during the game. You should've done the kiss truthfully, now I'll never hear the end of it."

"I did it truthfully."

At that I roll my eyes and walk closer to the water. Again he follows.

"There's no point in continuing this conversation if you're going to continue to lie."

"I'm not lying."

"What's your problem?"

"I don't have a problem, what's your problem?"

"I don't have one."

"Good."

"Great"

"You're infuriating, you know that?"

"And you're infuriatingly beautiful-"

"Why do you keep saying that?"

I start to walk away.

"And before you start calling me a liar, fine I'll accept it, I lied..." 

I stop.

"It's a lie that I've been completely enamored by you since the third grade, that I became friends with your friends just to be closer to you."

"I don't believe you."

"And it's a lie that I could listen to you talk about anything for hours, and another lie that I love the way your eyes light up when you talk about things you like."

"Just stop."

"I like you. You're the most beautiful and interesting person I've ever met. If I'm a liar sue me, because I'm never telling the truth again."