*•.♡ Closer than Expected ♡.•*

"Miss Y/N!" a maid exclaimed with an urgent expression, out of breath from running as she came into your room. "It's the Yashiro Commissioner...he's...!"

"Ayato?" your ears perked up at the mention of him, and you sat up straight as you looked at the maid. "What about him? Did something happen...?" you asked, surprised at how much worry was in your voice.

"He's ill!" she replied, quickly walking over to you.

You stood up and gave the maid a questioning look. "He's sick? This better not be a joke," you warned.

"It's true, miss!"

"Tell my mother I stepped out and won't be back for a while. Make sure nothing happens when I'm gone," you ordered, grabbing your coat as you rushed out the door.

'Ayato's sick?' 'What happened to him?' 'How serious is it?'

These questions swirled through your mind as you quickly made your way to the Kamisato Estate, stopping for no one. It was a typical warm Inazuman day with groups of children playing under the sakura trees and the bustling townspeople. You hadn't bothered to disguise yourself before leaving, and ended up attracting various greetings from the public as you rushed past, ignoring every one of them.

Out of breath, you walked into the Kamisato Estate and were welcomed by a familiar smile.

"Y/N!" Thoma smiled, waving at you as he swept fallen leaves off the ground. "What brings you here?"

"Did something happen to Ayato?" you worriedly asked as you looked around trying to find Ayato.

"Oh, it's nothing much, he's resting inside," Thoma assured. "He caught a small cold...I think it's because he was drenched from the rain when he returned yesterday..."

With a brief nod towards Thoma, you turned and went into the Yashiro Commission headquarters without another word.

You burst into the room, frantically searching for the kind azure eyes you couldn't keep out of your mind all day

"Ayato? Aya-" you stopped, freezing in your tracks as you saw him lying down, fast asleep.

You slowed your pace and carefully made your way over to him, doing your best not to wake him up. As you neared his bed, you saw a warm towel on top of his forehead. There was a vase of fresh pink flowers next to his bed, most likely Thoma's doing.

He was lying face-up, his hands were resting on top of his chest. He looked peaceful and you wondered how long it had been since he got a good rest like this. You quickly replaced the warm towel on his forehead with a new cooler one.

A strand of hair fell over his closed eyes and you impulsively reached out to carefully brush it away. You couldn't help but admire the sheer beauty of the man lying before you, before quickly scolding yourself for thinking that way.

As you gazed at him sleeping, you decided to stop acting like a creep and were about to leave and let him rest when you saw Ayato's eyes fly open and stare up at yours.

The two of you stared at each other for a good few seconds before it sunk in.

Surprised, you tried to move away but Ayato was faster. You didn't even have time to gasp as he reached out and grabbed your wrist, pulling you down onto the bed.

Your eyes widened as you ended up on the bed, right next to him. The two of you were facing each other, your faces merely inches apart.

"What are you doing?" you stuttered, embarrassed as you noticed an amused expression forming on his face.

"That's what I should be asking you, isn't it?" He replied, a smile playing across his lips as he looked at you. "Why were you staring at me in my sleep?"

You could feel the humiliation penetrate every cell in your body as you looked away

"It's not what you think..." you said, desperately trying to find a way to explain something you didn't even realize why you did.

"Then what is it?" He asked, tilting your chin up with his fingers, forcing you to make eye contact with him. You felt your cheeks getting hotter by the second.

"I...don't know" you mumbled, hating the way this man made you lose any sense of awareness when you were around him.

Not even the most intimidating nobles could bully you into faltering, but it turns out the kindest man you had met could fluster you with ease.

"You don't know? Hmm, that's a pity...I didn't know the head of the famous Miyazaki Clan could be so tentative," he said, closing his eyes with a smile on his face.

"That's not true..!" You blurted, aware of the fact he was teasing you, but you just couldn't let it slide.

"Are you planning to stay here all day?" He asked, the playful smile on his lips growing wider.

You blushed, sitting up straight in his bed. You couldn't believe this was the same man you had only heard rumors of up until a week ago. Quickly getting up, you straightened your outfit.

You were about to leave but saw Ayato getting up too. "What are you doing?" you asked, turning towards him. "You need to rest..."

"I've recovered already, don't worry. Besides, there are still a lot of unfinished matters to attend to," he replied, sighing. You watched him slightly massage his temples and knew he needed more rest.

"Thank you for visiting, Y/N. I need to finish reading some documents now, make sure you get home safely" he said, making his way towards the door.

"You're not going anywhere," you cut him off, blocking the exit.

-x-

Do y'all ever just cry...bc he's not real....

Just me? Ok T-T

If you liked the chapter, don't forget to leave a vote! ^^