*•.♡ Not What It Seems ♡.•*

(Next day, at the Miyazaki Estate)

Your mind was a mess. You didn't get a single minute of sleep last night because you were constantly tossing and turning, the Yashiro Commissioner being the only thing on your mind. And now you regretted it.

Your head started to hurt from exhaustion and all the work on your desk didn't help. No matter how many times you tried to focus, your mind kept wandering back to yesterday - the fatui, Ayato, everything.

"Y/N dear!" your mother sang as she pushed open the doors and entered your room. She was dressed in a lavish blue outfit with a string of silver pearls around her neck. You quickly sat up straight and put on a smile. "Hello, mother,"

Your gaze fell to an envelope in your mother's hand as she walked over and placed it on your desk. "Something came for you~," she said, beaming. "Go on, open it!"

As you closely examined the envelope, your eyes widened as you recognized the famous Kamisato seal on it. You quickly opened the envelope and read the letter inside.

"Y/N, there is something important I must tell you. Meet me at the lake we were at yesterday. I will be waiting at noon.

Sincerely,

Ayato"

"Well? What did it say?" your mother asked, watching as you got up and grabbed your coat. You glanced at the clock - it was almost noon. "It was from Ayato. I have to step out now but I'll be back soon," you said, waving goodbye as you stepped out.

.

.

.

You looked around, scanning the area as you walked along the lakeshore. You rushed over here as soon as you got the letter, but Ayato was nowhere to be found. As you waited, you couldn't help but feel something was...off. Something about the handwriting in the letter....

You couldn't quite put your finger on it but there was a gut feeling that was telling you something was wrong. It had been almost half an hour and there was no one in sight. You whirled around after hearing something rustle behind you.

The sun was beating down and you squinted, trying to make out the figure that walked out from behind the trees. "Ayato..?" you asked, but were met with silence as your words echoed through the grassy field.

There was utter silence for a few moments, and suddenly the figure lunged toward you. Realizing it was the fatui agent you saw yesterday, you swore.

(don't ask why the fatui agent looks hot, idk either)

"Shit..."

You had been too concentrated on arriving here on time that you forgot to bring the dagger you usually carried for self-protection. You looked back up to see that the fatui agent had disappeared from sight.