15

It was three drinks later when Bonnie got the message from Elena that Damon was leaving, so she said goodbye to Caroline and headed to meet him at the Salvatore house. She didn't want him to go feeding without her. Assuming he was even planning to go home first or go out that night at all. She usually only went a few times a week herself, but there was nothing wrong with two days in a row. She ended up pulling up at almost the same time as Damon, which wasn't surprising since Ric's gym/apartment was just across the square from the grill where she'd been. He got out of his car and scrutinized her. "What are you doing here?"

"I thought maybe we could go into the city for dinner. If you're feeling up to it," she shrugged.

"Even after last night?" Damon asked confused. Was she planning to set him up somehow?

"Of course," Bonnie said nonchalantly. "I told you it didn't bother me."

"My killing people doesn't bother you," he said skeptically as he headed into the house leaving her to follow.

"Well, I mean, it does a little bit, but not like in a making you a bad person way. I'm sad that those people died and all, but we're vampires. Predators. We can't be held to human standards. Just because I choose not to kill doesn't mean I'm going to judge you for it. Hell, maybe in a few decades or a century or whatever I won't mind killing either."

Damon offered her a drink which she took as he sat down with his own. "It does get easier to consider such things the further you get from your own humanity," he admitted. It had taken him a long time before killing stopped bothering him as much too. It still stung a bit for those who deserved it like last night and was worse for those who didn't which was why he tried not to kill true innocents unless he just completely lost it, but it was a lot easier than it was the first few decades when he tore himself apart for every death, no matter how justified.

"Mostly I just didn't want you to think that my cancelling this morning had anything to do with not wanting to be around you," Bonnie shrugged. "I just wanted to catch Caroline early and try to smooth things over."

"Good luck with that," Damon snorted derisively.

"It actually went pretty well," Bonnie told him. "I mean, she doesn't actually like it, or you right now, but he was her father so that's to be expected. She doesn't hate you for it though and understands why you did it and she'll get over the rest in time."

"Is that so," Damon said with narrowed eyes before he finished his drink and stood up. "Well you mentioned dinner, so we might as well go." If he was about to walk into some sort of ambush or trap, he would rather get it over with before he actually let himself believe her acceptance. Bonnie got up and followed him out. Conversation during the drive was kept light as Damon tried to make things make sense in his head. Assuming she was telling the truth about being good with him, of course.

"A club?" Bonnie asked with raised eyebrows when they pulled up in front of it.

"I think you have enough control and experience now to learn to 'graze'. If you're feeling up to it," he smirked. Changing up the routine was the best way to foil any attempted ambush after all. Their attempts to change their plans to match would give him plenty of opportunities to notice and avoid it. Changes like that caused sloppiness.

"Yeah, absolutely," Bonnie grinned. "Let's go party it up." She hadn't exactly gone clubbing a /lot/ in the future, but she always enjoyed it when she did. She remembered the frat party when Damon had taken Elena to teach her to feed and how horrified she'd been at the time with some guilt. This was her chance to make up for that. At least in her own mind. Since it hadn't happened yet, and wouldn't now, she didn't need to make it up to anyone else.