8

It was another hour before Bonnie and Caroline managed to leave Caroline's house, but it was still a few hours before her mom would be home so it was fine. She left a note on the table in the entryway and also sent a text, both saying the same thing. 'Staying with Bonnie for a few days to help her with some stuff'. The note was just in case something happened to her mother's phone and she couldn't get the text. Caroline was getting a lot more freedom these days, but still had to check in and let her mother know where she was if she would be gone late or overnight. Caroline had also packed a bag for a few days, which had taken her less than a minute at vampire speed. The majority of the hour had been spent calming Bonnie down.

"You have to teach me how to do that," Bonnie said as she watched Caroline zip around the room.

"I will," Caroline chuckled. "I have a lot to teach you." She was rather glad that one of her friends had joined her in vampirism, selfish as she felt to think that. "We should learn the speed outside though at first. No problem if we break the trees."

"Yeah. Makes sense," Bonnie said amusedly as they got in Caroline's car. She wasn't going to drive until she'd had at least a day or two to get used to the reflexes. And the emotional swings. Having a breakdown behind the wheel wouldn't be good. Once they got to Bonnie's house and went up to her room to drop her stuff off, Bonnie couldn't help but pull Caroline into a tight hug, finding herself getting teary again. "You know I love you, right? I can't thank you enough for this," she sniffled on her best friend's shoulder.

Caroline smiled brightly and hugged her back, glad that this emotional swing was a good one at least. "I know, Bon. I love you too."

"Sorry," Bonnie pulled back wiping her eyes. "I'm a mess. I know."

"It's totally normal," Caroline assured her. "Your emotions just got blasted up to eleven. No, more like a hundred. You're gonna be a mess for a while as you get used to it. I'm sure you remember how much of a mess I was."

"Yeah. You were kinda," Bonnie chuckled. "I could have been more understanding than I was," she said regretfully.

"It's okay. You were dealing with a lot yourself. I get it," Caroline rushed to reassure her before the waterworks could start again. "You feel up for going for a run?"

"Yeah, definitely," Bonnie almost bounced in her excitement.

"Okay, so you'll want to try and be careful of the trees," Caroline said on their way downstairs before stopping. "Actually, I should probably go get some more blood from Damon's first. In case you need healing from crashes."

"Yeah, that's probably a good idea," Bonnie nodded.

"Will you be okay alone for a while or do you want to come with me?"

"I'll be okay alone," Bonnie assured her. She really wanted to surprise Damon with her new state by putting him on his ass in the morning. "Don't tell him yet. About me being a vampire."

"I won't. Promise." Caroline grabbed her purse and told her, "I'll be back in about half an hour. Just relax and try not to break anything." She stopped in the doorway before turning back. "You can always try and practice moderating your strength while I'm gone. With things that can be fixed or you don't mind breaking."

"Yeah that's a good idea," Bonnie nodded. Anything to keep her from losing herself in thought and having another emotional fit. Unfortunately, that didn't work so well. Between the frustration of breaking things and the fact that it didn't exactly keep her mind occupied, she ended up breaking down anyway and Caroline had to calm her down again when she got back before they could go for their run.

Bonnie had more fun than she could have imagined on the run. The feeling of freedom from moving so fast was exhilarating. After a few minutes she did a jump as high as she could and it felt almost like flying. She did another one and tried to do a few flips, but misjudged the distance and landed flat on her back halfway through the fourth flip. Caroline waited a second to make sure there wouldn't be tears before she laughed as she reached a hand to help her up. "Ow," Bonnie groaned.