31🔸Beautiful disaster

Draupadi

Draupadi

My body grew tensed while my eyes frantically roved around, searching for any familiar faces but except few guards there was none and for a fact I knew those guards would never dare to speak or do anything against Duryodhan. Clenching my jaw, I held my head high.

"Yes, Bhrata Duryodhan" I answered curtly, keeping my face blank. They didn't deserve any ounce of my emotion. "Now if you please excuse me"

"Bhabhishri doesn't have any time for us, Bhrata" Dussasan quipped "She didn't even give us an opportunity to introduce ourselves properly"

"Your brain seems to work a bit slow Bhrata Dussasan" My lips twitched slightly as I watched their expression converting from glee to confusion. They exchanged secret glances while I continued "I've been introduced to you and your valour the very day of my Swyamvar"

I knew they felt the jab that I aimed for, when I noticed Duryodhan's pupils dilating and fingers curling into ball but Karna held him in place as he replied "We were ju-"

"And you are?" I interjected, knowing quite well who he was.

Karna's face changed its colour as his nostrils flared and this time he let go of Duryodhan who answered on Karna's behalf "He is my friend"

"I see" I nodded "I would rather not talk to my husbands' cousin's friend"

"Your words matches your beauty, both have the power to set one's heart on fire" That same leering look from the day when we first arrived here was plastered on his face as he drank me in, toes to top making bile glided up my throat.

Anger flared inside me and I knew I was doing exactly what they wanted me to, lose control. As I fought against the urgent desire to slap right across his hideous face, I felt a strong arm wrapped around my waist and looked up only to found my husband standing beside me, holding me closer to him while the warmth of his body slowly transmitted into my cold one.

"And not everyone can bare the heat of her fire Bhrata. I'd suggest you to save yourselves from further humiliation" He wisecracked, tightening his hold.

"We were just here to greet your wife Arjun, not steal her" Karna jested.

"I know"Arjun drawled with a sly smile tugging the corner of his lips up "You've already tried it on her Swayamvar and the consequences are still visible" Karna unconsciously touched his slightly swollen black-blue left cheek bone.

"Be in your limit Arjun. You're insulting Angraj"

I closed my eyes feeling a sob rising in my throat. I remembered the prediction during my birth 'She will bring destruction to Kurus' . That very moment I had challenged the divinity, promising I would never let any such thing happen. Even a few days ago I was so sure of it but now seeing how things were unfolding, I was scared.