17🔸Destiny or Choice

Song - Hamesha tumko chaaha (Devdas)

Third Person

"It's because she had mistakenly asked for husband five times in her previous life"

His mother's words rang in his ear as Arjun stared at the magnificent chandeliers shining under the luminous moonlight while his hand rested on his forehead, the corner of his lips lifted up in a bitter smile.

So it's her, not them but her.

They had neatly managed to put all blame on that innocent princess. He wondered, why she was supposed to bear the curse for a mistake she didn't even commit in this life. Besides, Even if it were her destiny, it in no way justified his or his family's action.

Destiny can never be an excuse for sin.

Arjun knew the initial and basic reason behind this polygamy was neither her previous birth nor the lame excuse of 'Pandav unity'. He was certain that his brothers wanted her as their wife the moment they laid their eyes on her. Her unearthly beauty had managed to captivate their hearts a way that they used every possible way to reach to her.

Did his mother really not know about his victory? Why didn't his eldest brother or younger ones tell her about it? What would have happened if his mother simply just laughed her silly mistake off?

There were so many questions screaming in Arjun's head making it hard for him to breath. He immediately got off the bed before throwing on a purple upper garment over his shoulder and darting out of the room.

Arjun knew he was supposed to be present at his eldest brother's wedding tomorrow but for once Arjun wanted to listen to his heart, for once Arjun wanted to be Arjun. Not Pandava Arjun, just Arjun.

 Not Pandava Arjun, just Arjun

Draupadi

'You're allowed to feel Sakhi'

Govind had said but something inside me refused to believe him. How could I feel anything when my heart and soul was chained with intricated rules and norms?

I had already accepted a certain golden eyed prince as my husband and if I started feeling all I would be able to feel were the intensity of his golden orbs, the spicy maddening fragrance of his body, the richness of his deep voice.

I couldn't feel.

"Place the varmala on Yuvraj Yudhishthir's neck, Princess" The soft voice of priest Dhoumya hauled me out of my trance and I looked ahead to see Prince Yudhishthir staring down at me with a soft smile. His eyes held a hint of accusation and understanding, both at once in them.

Swallowing the lump, I took the garland from Malini's hand. As I raised my hand to place it around his neck I couldn't help but remembered how my heart had fluttered and stomach somersaulted when I garlanded a certain curly haired Brahmin.

He wasn't bedecked with expensive jewels and expensive clothes like Prince Yudhishthir was now. Instead of golden crown, his wild curls were pulled back in a ponytail, with matted and worn out clothe covering his perfectly sculpted body he appeared like sun covered by clouds, his-

Stop!

My hold on the garland tightened as a wave of shame swept over me. I wasn't supposed to think of him when I was marrying his eldest brother. With my jaw tensed, I placed the red garland around Arya Yudhishthir's neck.

It took almost two more hours for the wedding to come to an end. Getting up we greeted everyone, when his other brothers congratulated him, I could sense the awkwardness in their voices.

As we came across Mata Kunti, I saw Govind standing beside her with Satyabhama by his side. I wondered where his coveted cousin was but I was glad, so glad that he wasn't there.

I was told my conjugal life wouldn't be starting anytime soon. I didn't heard anything else after it, I was so relieved, so busy rejoicing the little blessing. I knew I was by far ready for the physical intimacy.... with five men.
.
.
.
.

Yuvraj Yudhishthir was a remarkably cultivated and learned person. He had vast knowledge almost on every topic that I could think of, so on our first night, I tried to discuss on scriptures with him. His knowledge lacked logic, it seemed too bookish, too theoretical for my taste.

Soon our pleasant conversation had turned into a cold argument. He didn't like arguing with me, that was clear. He probably wanted someone who would agree with whatever he says, I prayed one day he gets someone like that for I was certainly not that 'someone'. I needed things clarified with proper logic and explanation to believe them.

Compared to the eldest Pandava, Arya Bheem was much more jovial and candid. He cracked silly jokes through out the wedding earning some glares from his mother and teases from prince Nakul.

He had clearly stated how much he liked me when he first saw me on my Swayamvar and how much he regretted not practicing archery like his younger brother.

"If it were me in my brother's place, I would have never shared you Panchali" He had said, wrapping his arms around my body.

I let him engulf me in his warm embrace and placed my head on his broad chest while the corner of my lips lifted up with a small smile.

Of course he wouldn't. No one would. And that's what made my Arjun different from everyone.

I knew he was as much of a pawn of fate as I were. I knew his pain was no less than mine, probably even more?

"It's your destiny to marry five men Draupadi , they are your destiny" I didn't remember who said it but it was true.

They were indeed my destiny, but Arjun was my choice.

Falling in love with Arjun was my choice, and absolutely no divinity, no amount rules and norms could take that choice away from me. Absolutely none.

I was re-reading Draupadi -Yudhishthir -Bheem conversation in Vanparv and woah

I was re-reading Draupadi -Yudhishthir -Bheem conversation in Vanparv and woah... What an incredibly intelligent woman she had been. The way she was countering each point of Yudhishthir proves her vast knowledge and understanding on scriptures.

Anyways, I'm not really satisfied with the chapter, at all 🥺 but still VOTE if you liked reading it <3

Next chapter - ArDi wedding *gets excited* mera bas chale to kal hi post kardu hehe.

Jay shri Krishnarjun
Arjunaradhika