12🔸 Fallacy

Draupadi

"Pardon me, but I still can not fathom the fact my daughter is going to have five husbands" My father declared firmly his usual calm voice held a hint of agitation while my mother nodded her head.

The very next day of my Swayamvar we were brought to the royal palace of Panchala. My father was beyond delighted knowing the mysterious Brahmin was Arjun, his cherished son in law after all.

But his happiness soon was replaced by abashment when the eldest Pandava disclosed their decision.

"Exactly! Who has ever heard of a woman having more than one husband?" Dhrishtasyumna fumed and tried to continue before my father stopped him through his eyes.

"If a man can have multiple wives why can't a woman?" Prince Yudhishthir questioned.

"Yuvraj, will my daughter be able to marry any other men in future just like you and your brothers will be free to wed anyone anytime you want?" My mother questioned back with a dry smile.

They all fell silent and looked visibly uncomfortable. I knew no matter how much they try to prove a man having multiple wives same as me marrying the five brothers, it wasn't in the case.

I would forever be criticised, mocked and laughed at for having five husbands. Every move of mine would be ruthlessly judged. My life would be a tight rope walk no matter how easy they tried to make it sound.

My eyes landed on the curly haired man, sitting there right beside prince Nakul. He appeared lost as if he wasn't part of the conversation at all, as if all these didn't matter to him, as if I didn't matter to him.

"Queen Prishtati I-"

"Matashri, Pitashri" I rose to my feet and walked toward them "I request you to stop this conversation right here. I've accepted whatever the eldest Pandava has ordered"

My father's eyes narrowed "Dear-"

"Please" I whispered while fighting the tears back.

He stared at me for a while before placing an affectionate hand on my head and nodding his head.

Without waisting anymore time I darted out of the room. I walked through the silent hallway while tears blurred my vision.

There was no point in arguing or fighting when the person I'd fight for didn't give a whit and it would just complicate the already complicated matters. At least my Panchal would be secured, my father would have his enemy's best student as his son in law.

Amidst all this chaos and uncertainty I knew I could never forgive him or his silence. Those golden eyes that I expected to love and adore me betrayed me in the worst way possible.

But was my heart ready to follow my mind?