Chapter 11- I Promise

I've been beating on this damn vending machine for the past five minutes, trying to free the bag of chips that got stuck on the way down. So far, they haven't budged.

Getting frustrated, I pound the machine one last time, letting out a wild, animal-like growl. I smile victoriously when my chips finally fall and I'm able to retrieve them.

I haven't eaten anything since last night and I'm starving. These chips are going to do very little to curve my appetite, but at least it's something. I have no idea when my grandma will be released, and no idea when I'll get a real meal again, so this will have to do for now.

I take my chips back to the waiting area and crunch on them while I check my messages. Lizzy, Mr. Brewer, Mary and Aspen have all texted asking about my grandmother. It makes me feel good that so many people care about her, even if she hasn't met any of them yet.

"Miss Martin?"

I look up from my phone at Dr. Vita, my heart leaping when I see the smile on her face. Finally, some good news.

"Your grandmother is awake and she's asking to see you," she says.

"Oh, thank God," I sigh in relief, standing and dropping my bag of chips on the table next to my chair.

"She's a little out of it, so don't be surprised if she says some crazy things," she goes on, leading me down the hallway. "She's on the mend and should be ready to go home by tomorrow; however, I strongly suggest having her AC fixed before then. I know her situation, so I've written down the numbers of some people I think might be able to help you."

She hands me a slip of paper and I quickly skim over it.

"If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to call me. I've listed my number as well," she adds.

"Thank you so much."

She opens the door to grandma's room and as soon as I walk in, grandma's face lights up.

"Miss Sessy! I'm so happy to see you!" she grins, holding her arms out.

I rush to her side and sit on the edge of her bed, hugging her tight. "I was so worried about you," I whisper.

"No need to worry about me, sweetie. I'm gonna be just fine. You know I won't leave this world until I see my sweet granddaughter become a doctor!"

"Grandma, why didn't you tell me money was tight? I could've helped you!" I say, pulling away to meet her eyes.

"Because it's my responsibility, not yours. The only thing you need to worry about is getting that degree. Let me worry about the rest."

While her tone is firm and sure, her worried eyes tell a different story.

"You can't just live without AC, grandma. It's too hot and it's only going to get hotter. If you want, you can come stay with me at my apartment for the summer. Lizzy, my roommate, is moving out in a few days."

"Then you should be out having fun with your roommate instead of cooped up in this hospital with me!" she smiles.

"You know I'm not leaving you," I say, giving her a bored look.

She chuckles. "I'm planning on getting a job at the public transportation office, where I used to work, at least part time. You won't have to worry anymore."

"You can't work, grandma. You're seventy-seven years old. You should be at home watching Golden Girls and knitting sweaters like all the other grandmas out there."

"Since when have you known me to ever be like the other grandma's out there?" she asks, cocking a brow.

I smile. "Never. But you shouldn't be working. You have to take care of yourself."