ᴏᴜᴛ ᴏғ sɪɢʜᴛ, ʙᴜᴛ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪɴᴅ

"I feel like I haven't seen you in a while." Sullivan said and I just smiled politely.

"Where do you want to start?" I asked and she just chuckled.

"Bad to good."

"Well, I threatened a cop, but I told Hanna about Jason, and Hanna's exboyfriend asked me on a date."

The woman was speechless.

"Do you want me to elaborate on anything?" I asked and the woman just smiled.

"I'm glad to see you slowly starting to open up, especially to Hanna, I know she's important to you."

"Really? Nothing on the threatening a cop?" I asked and she laughed.

"I'm choosing to believe it was a joke. So, tell me about this boy. Is this Sean the virgin?" She asked and I laughed.

"Yeah, he asked me to the dance in a couple weeks, as friends first, because he didn't want to make things weird."

"That's good Natalie. How are you liking living with your dad's girlfriend and her son?"

"I like the little family we have. I like coming home to people. Miranda and I really click, she's just amazing, and I love Justin." I explained and she jot down some notes.

"And Ezra and Wesley?"

"They actually know Justin. He and Wes were best friends in school, so I planned on helping them rekindle that. They are great, it's nice always having someone around."

"And Jason?"

"Is gone, out of sight out of mind." I said and she just gave me a look.

"Okay, not out of mind. He said he'd call me before stopping into town again, at least this time I can prepare myself." I explained.

"Prepare for?"

"The lie about my great life. The first time he saw me I was in yesterdays makeup and clothes, because I fell asleep at Ezra's, the second time I was covered in sweat coming from a concert with Justin and Noel, not as glamorous as his new Ivy League life style."

"You know what I think?" She said and I just smiled wide.

"You know I do." I said sarcastically.

"I think you don't like that he seems like he's doing better than you feel you are doing. I think a small part of you wants him to feel what you do."

"And what's that?"

"Grief for what you lost, what you feel he cost you."

"Oh, hey shortcake." My eyes immediately widened as I turned to be faced with my worst nightmare.

"Ian." I looked at him in complete shock.

"I heard you signed up for field hockey this year. I'm the new coach, just wanted to stop in and say hey." He said wearing his creepy smile.

"It's been a long time." I said, saying exactly what came to mind. I hadn't seen him since the night of my accident. He was in the house, in fact he was the one who drove Jason to the airport.

"Don't look so unhappy to see me. We could really use your aggression on the field this year."

"I was more looking to sit on the bench and cheer Spencer on, and just put it on my college applications." I said and he cracked a smile.

"C'mon where that feisty little attitude? Is it because Jason's not here to protect you anymore?" He said quietly before disappearing with a creepy smirk.