Chapter 18

James POV

We finally arrive home. Noah is late for class so he only has time to drop us off at the parking lot. Adam and I say goodbye and he drives off, leaving the two of us in silence.

Without saying a word, we both simultaneously head into the building. It only takes a moment before we are climbing into the elevator.

The tension is thick, and the elevator music isn't exactly helping. He's been avoiding me all day, and I have yet to talk to him. I cringe just thinking about bringing the events of last night up. Still, it has to be done.

Just as I open my mouth, the elevator dings. Little Adam practically flies down the hallway to the apartment. I stand behind him as he opens the door, watching as he plops himself down on the couch and pulls out his phone. I can tell he's on edge.

Daniel is standing in the kitchen when we enter. He looks from me to Adam and then back to me again. I can see what he's getting at and shake my head.

"I think I'm gonna go out for a jog. You guys just call me if you need anything!" He says, walking out the door leaving me to deal with my problems.

I stand there for a moment, contemplating my next moves.

"Adam, we've gotta talk."

His whole body tenses and he pulls his phone closer to his face.

"A-About what?" He squeaks.

"The other night." I say with a sigh.

"I'm not sure what you're talking about." He tells me, pulling his phone even closer as if it were a shield.

He's really gonna make this hard for me, isn't he?

"Adam, please look at me." I ask, stepping closer.

He reluctantly lowers his phone. A look of dread covers his face.

I offer him my hand and pull him to his feet. He takes a step back, staring at the floor.

He swallows. "So..."

"I'm sorry. I didn't... I thought... I'm sorry, Adam."

"N-No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have..." He trails off, pain clear in his face.

I take a step closer, lifting his chin up so he has to look at me.

"You have nothing to apologize for. I was just... tired from a day at work and did something stupid without thinking. That's all it was."

I let out a sigh of relief as a weight lifts off my chest. I glance back up at Adam, expecting his reaction to mirror mine.

He is focusing on the ground, his whole body shaking. Tears prick at his foggy eyes.

"O-Oh..." He chokes out. A sharp pain stabs through my chest.

OH NO OH NO OH NO DAMAGE CONTROL OH NO OH NO...

"I m-mean I MIGHT'VE been thinking w-were you thinking- w-wait noooo I didn't AUGHHHH!" I panic more and more as he tries to take another step away, only to realize he's against the wall.

"I-I'm sorry... I-I should..." He mumbles.

Deep in panic, I take his tiny face in my hand and turn his head towards mine. My heart wrenches as I see his expression, but I push through.

"Adam- we... I..." I swallow. "WOULD YOULIKETOGOONADATEORHANGOUTWITHUSSOMETIMEBUTLIKEROMANTICALLYANDIT'SPERFECTLYIFYOUSAYNOIJUSTREALLYNEEDTOKNOW."

I slowly ease open my eyes. Adam looks... Shocked? Amazed? Horrified? Flabbergasted? I can't tell. It seems as though he is frozen in time.

Finally, he breaks the silence.

"I-I..."

"... A-Are you messing with me?"

My heart drops.

"N-No- I wouldn't joke about this. I mean- it's fine if you don't w-want to..."

Adam POV

What is happening.

WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW.

I can't- he's gotta be messing with me, right? I mean, he doesn't seriously... They don't seriously...

...right?

My face heats up.

"You r-really mean it...?"

"I mean it."

I wrap my arms around him as tightly as I can, burying my face in his chest.

"...Adam?" He asks tentatively.

I love him. I love his hair and his snarky jokes and his annoying smirk. I love Noah's deep voice and Daniel's big arms that could crush me in a second. This must be a dream. This has to be too good to be true.

"...Yes."

...But a boy can dream, can't he?

-*-*-*-*-