Chapter 13 - Fries and Fingers

Adam POV

I tuck in my shirt. As expected, my boss was not happy about me missing so much work. However, he was a bit more lenient when I told him Martin was arrested. He was kind enough not to push the topic.

I sigh, looking away from the mirror. I look hideous, as usual.

Since my job is so close to this apartment, I decide to walk. I immediately regret my choice as I leave the building, the cold air almost nocking me over. I'm wearing nothing but a dress shirt, dress pants, and an oversized sweater. I think this one used to be Martin's, but if it was he must have given it to me a long time ago, because it no longer stinks of booze.

My mind wanders as I walk. Images of the boys cross my mind, causing me to blush. They're really handsome. At least, more handsome than some people.

Namely, me.

I frown in disgust as my hand travels up to my messy hair. Thankfully, I realize I'm at the entrance of the mall. Time for work.

- Lunch Break -

James POV

I walk into the bookstore like I do every day at lunch. I immediately spot Adam in the corner, lounging in his usual chair. I admire him for a second from the doorway. I watch the way his adorable smile grows as he turns each page of his book, how his perfectly overgrown hair bounces as he laughs, how his beautiful eyes move back and forth across the page.

I hear a low chuckle behind me.

I turn to see Adam's annoying boss, a stupid smile on his face.

"You like him, don't you?" He asks me, causing my face to redden.

"W-What? I don't know what you're talking about." I quickly reply.

"Ah, so you lovingly gaze at all your friends without them knowing?"

"I- just my good ones." I quickly cover, causing him to laugh.

I pause, looking at the ground. "Do... do you think he, uh, feels that way about us- I mean, me?" I ask meekly.

He just smirks. "That's not for me to tell."

He starts to walk away, then stops abruptly. He slowly turns, and something in his eyes freezes me in place.

His expression sends a shiver down my spine. "By the way, buddy, if you ever even think of hurting him, I will slice off your fingers, piece by piece, as slowly as possible, so you can feel every single drop of blood that leaves your hands as it runs down your cold palms."

I stand there, scared stiff as I imagine him slowly chopping off my fingers. I'm only snapped out of this trance by the sound of loud laughter coming from beside me.

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding! Don't be such a wuss!" He says, holding his side from laughter.

He seems ready to leave, but stops a final time. "By the way, are you left or right handed? For future reference."

He walks away, pleased with my disturbed expression. I feel someone's hand on my arm and jump, turning to face them.

"You okay?" Adam asks me, and my shoulders relax a bit.

"Yeah... y'know, you have one freaky friend."

He looks at me for a second, then storms off into another room, where his boss also happened to have gone.

"CALVIN!"

A few minutes later, he exits the room, his face full of annoyance. "Please ignore him. Trust me, he feeds on fear."

He grabs my sleeve, and we head to the food court. After a bit of waiting, we're seated with our food and begin chatting.

"So, have you, uh, thought about it?" I ask nervously.

He gives me a quizzical look, before realizing what I'm referring to.

"You mean moving in? I guess I will, if it's still okay with you guys. Besides, it's weird living alone."

I chuckle. "Nineteen and still scared of living alone? Wow, I thought you were more mature than that, Adam." I say, jokingly tossing a fry at his face from across the table.

"Anyone who labels me as mature clearly has no idea what they're talking about." He states, eating the fry off the table. He reaches for another, but I smack his hand away.

"Are you implying that I'm stupid, little Adam?" I ask him, raising an eyebrow.

He rolls his eyes. "It clearly didn't need to be implied. And I told you to stop calling me that."

He reaches again for a fry, but I pull them away. "You have to say please, little one." I order tauntingly.

"I'm not five, James." He huffs.

"My fries, my rules."

He sits there for a second, glaring at me.

"Please." He finally says, rolling his eyes.

"You gotta mean it." I tell him, waving a fry in front of his face, before pulling it back and chomping on it.

He audibly growls, then stands up. Confused, I watch as he walks around the table, stopping behind me. I feel his hot breath as he leans over my shoulder.

"Please."

My face flushes and he steps back. I then realize that I'm not holding my fries anymore.

"Wha-" I look up to see Adam, giggling and eating the fries. One is sticking out of his mouth.

"That wasn't very nice." I say, smirking and standing up.

I slowly make my way towards him, leaning over his confused face. I chuckle, biting the fry sticking out of his mouth. A squeak escapes his lips as his face reddens, our lips mere centimeters apart. Fuck, I wanna slam him against the wall so bad.

Instead, I stand up, swallowing the fry in my mouth.

"I've gotta head back. My lunch break's almost over," I say, straightening my posture. "See you later."

And with that, I head back in the direction of my job to ponder my life choices.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Character info:

Daniel = Top
Noah = Top
James = Switch
Adam = Bottom

Words: 994