Chapter 6 - Going Home

Noah POV

I'm sitting at the island next to James, but my brain is still on last night. I couldn't sleep, couldn't stop all the questions running through my mind.

Who was on the phone? A parent? A friend? Some random drunk? I desperately want to believe the latter, but it just wouldn't make sense. If it was just a random guy, why would Adam be acting as if someone was being held for ransom? Is he okay? Is he safe?

"Helloooo? Anybody home?" I realize that James has been talking to me for who knows how long.

"Sorry, I was... Lost in thought."

"Must've been pretty important, then. You always seem so on top of things, and, like, aware of your surroundings."

"Yeah..." I trail off, remembering his face as he wept.

"Well, what is it?"

I roll my eyes. "None of your business."

"Was it Adaaaaaam?" He mocks as I dump out my cold oatmeal. I've lost my appetite.

"Ye-" I stop myself mid sentence, but it's too late.

James bursts out laughing. "You're in loooooove!"

"Sometimes I don't know why I ever started dating you."

This goes on for several minutes before Daniel finally finishes his shower and takes a seat next to James.

"Savvvveeee mmeeeeeee" I groan, as James sings 'k - i - s - s - i - n - g'.

"Hey, do you think we should wake up Adam? It's almost nine."

"No, he had a long night. Let him rest."

"You sure? I'm sure his boyfriend's worried."

Shit, I forgot about that.

"That's true. I'll go-"

"I've got it, lovebird." James says with a laugh, entering my room.

I roll my eyes and take his seat next to Daniel.

"You okay? You look tired." He asks me.

"Yeah, I just didn't sleep that well."

He laughs. "Man, is James' bed really that bad?"

I pause for a second. Should I tell him what happened?

My thoughts are interrupted by James' laughter.

"Nooooo put me back!" A croaky voice calls. "I wanna sleeeeeeep!"

"No-can-do!" James says, setting the tired boy on the counter.

"How do you feel about eggs?" James offers energetically.

"I want sleeeeeeep." He groans.

"Hey, you didn't offer me eggs!" Daniel calls out as James pulls the eggs out of the fridge.

"First of all, he's our guest. Second of all, you're vegan." James says with a chuckle.

"He's basically a zombie right now!" Daniel shouts, waving around his arms.

"A hungry zombie!" James corrects as he cracks the eggs.

Daniel just growls as I return to my worries. I've got a new one to add to the list as well.

How am I going to bring any of this up to Adam?

I decide to take a shower in an attempt to silence my thoughts. It doesn't work.

He was so scared.

I finish and get dressed, deciding I have to talk to him.

I find him on the living room couch, next to James and Daniel. He isn't watching the TV or talking to either of them.

He is staring intently at his phone, which hasn't moved from where I set it down on the coffee table last night.

After a few minutes, he breaks from his trance and picks up the phone.

I decide to stop staring from the hallway like a creep and actually sit down with them. I sit on the ground, since the couch is only made for three.

James and Daniel seem to be fighting over the who the strongest marvel character is. I watch as Adam stares at his blank phone screen.

"Are you okay?"

He looks up at me. "Yeah, j-just thinking."

"Are you okay?" I ask again, but this time my tone is serious.

He looks at me for a second, then smiles.

"Yeah, I should just be heading home soon."

He doesn't realize it, but his eyes give him away. His big, expressive eyes. I wish I knew what those eyes are trying to tell me.

"Yeah, it'll be eleven soon. When do you want to leave by?" I respond.

"Sometime soon, I guess."

"I can take you now, if you want. They cleared the roads this morning."

"That'd probably be for the best."

I get up. "That's what we'll do, then."

He nods in response.

"I'm gonna take Adam home, guys."

They say their goodbyes, then continue their argument.

- Half an Hour Later -

I park the car. I can't believe I didn't manage to say a word to him the entire car ride.

He steps out, but doesn't shut the door. Instead, he turns to face me.

"I'm sorry I woke you up."

And with that, he's gone.

I sit there for a second, mind blank.

Shit.

Shit.

SHIT!

I rest my head on the steering wheel.

Shit.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Q: What's your favorite show?

Words: 800