Chapter 3 - The ER

Adam POV

We enter the emergency room, and immediately get some weird looks. That's probably because I'm literally slung over Noah's shoulder.

Suddenly, I'm tossed (borderline thrown) back over his shoulder and abruptly caught, before being gently set down in the uncomfortable waiting room chairs.

"Already got a sprained ankle and a broken rib, you tryin' to give me a heart attack too?" I question sarcastically, catching my breath after the sudden movement.

He just smiles and sits down next to me, mussing up my hair a bit.

I get up and head to the front desk to get checked in.

"Oh, would you look who it is. Back again, huh, Adam?" The nurse, Callie says to me as I walk up.

I roll my eyes. "Yes, Callie. Can I please just get checked in?" I reply with a small smile.

"I guess so, troublemaker." She says with a smirk.

After a few minutes, I head back to my seat.

"It's gonna be an hour or two, guys." I inform the group.

I get a few 'sure's and mumbles, about what you'd expect.

"Who was that?" Noah asks in his deep voice.

"Oh, just a nurse here. We're acquaintances, I guess."

"Oh." He says, and goes back to what he was doing.

Man, Noah's definitely a quiet one. I pull out my phone and begin to pass the time.

-A Little Over an Hour Later-

My name is finally called, and I'm more than happy to get this over with. I hate going to the doctor's office, the questions are always hard to answer without telling the whole truth, and God knows they press the subject. And that's without the occasional police questioning afterwards.

I sit down on the table as the doctor begins the classic 'these are serious injuries and you've been coming here a lot' speech.

                        Noah POV

I'm just sitting, minding my own business when...

"You're awful smiley today, mister!" Daniel says, squishing his face into my arm.

I know that it's just a matter of minutes until he forces me to actually answer him, so I decide to humor him.

"What makes you say that?" I ask, no trace of curiosity in my voice.

"Well, for one, you laughed in front of a stranger, and two, you're not being all 'grrr, I don't like you I'm gonna be a big meanie' and and AND!" He says, getting up in my face, "You actually, like, touched someone you didn't know that well. You wouldn't have even slung me over your shoulder the day we met!"

"I'm not the one who called him 'kitten.'" I reply lazily.

"Touché." He replies, sitting back down in his seat.

He has a point, though. I am being awfully social today. Ironic that I choose the day we're taking someone to the hospital to get talkative.

I am saved from my thoughts by Adam's return, and he, thankfully, looks okay. I don't quite understand why James said he was really beat up, but I'm sure he had a reason.

We get up and start walking over to him, James reaching him first and throwing him over his shoulder as I had.

"My turn!" James says happily, Adam rolling his eyes in response.

Me and Daniel both step behind James, turning our attention to Adam instead.

"Boop!" Daniel says, booping Adam's cheek and pulling him out of his thoughts.

His face reddens a bit and he huffs. I muss up his hair a bit, and his face gets noticably pinker. Daniel snickers beside me.

"Meanies." He huffs, turning my smile into a laugh.

He sticks his tongue out at the two of us, but Daniel takes this opportunity to lean over and bite it. Adam lets out a small 'Eep!' before burying his face in his arms

Daniel and I burst into laughter, making Adam's adorably red face even worse, now extending to the tips of his ears.

"Hey, are you messing with him without me? No fair!" James calls back.

We both continue laughing our asses off as Adam calls out, "You guys are mean!"

We reach the car, and James tosses Adam into the backseat. Daniel slides in next to him before James can, causing James to grumble before moving to the front seat. I sit in shotgun as I had before, though I'm also a bit disappointed that I didn't get the backseat.

"Where do you live?" James calls back, opening google maps on his phone.

Adam goes silent for a second, lost in his own thoughts. And, for a split second, I could've sworn I saw fear in his eyes.

He gives James the address of a nearby apartment building, and we arrive too soon. Adam climbs out, buts stops before closing the door.

"Let's meet up again sometime, okay?"

We all agree, and just like that, he's gone.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Edit: I hate editing

Words: 815