Chapter 7 - Regrets

Adam POV

I don't move. It will only make it worse. It hurts to breathe. It hurts to think. So I lay here.

Why did I make friends?

Having friends just makes everything harder. At least before, I could always be a coward and die. I always knew he was going to kill me, and at least then there was the option. At least then then there was an alternative to this.

Now I can't do that. I can't just die knowing they would still be there. I can't die knowing that they would find out.

They give that stupid part of me hope. Yet another part of me that I have grown to hate.

Before I would have let myself sleep at times like this. If I died while I slept, at least then I wouldn't have to live.

I know they don't really care for me. I know no one ever will. But I can't shake that stupid hope.

So instead, I lie here.

James POV

"Did you have a good day?" Daniel asks me as I shut the door behind me.

"Yeah, it was okay."

"Did you remember to tell Adam hello for me?"

"Actually, he wasn't there. His boss said he called in sick."

"You think we scared him off?" Dan says with a laugh, which I return.

"Oh, definitely." I say, sitting down next to him.

"I knew we shouldn't have let him stay in Noah's room. It's freaky clean. He probably thought we were robots or something." He replies with a chuckle.

"Yeah, I guess we'll know for sure if he doesn't come tomorrow."

- Two Days Later -

Adam didn't come yesterday.

I'm starting to get worried. I've messaged him a few times, but he hasn't responded. I even tried calling him last night, but he didn't pick up.

As I do every lunch, I head over to the bookstore.

To my surprise (and relief), I find Adam lounging in one of the chairs.

"I'm glad you're back." I say, and he jolts up in his seat.

"Don't scare me like that!" He whines, turning to face me.

I begin to laugh, then stop.

I walk over and sit down on the arm of the chair.

He looks confused, but I just take his face in my hands. My movements are slow, almost robotic, and my thoughts have stopped entirely.

"What happened?" I ask slowly.

His face is bruised and beaten. I trace the bright red slash on his cheek with my finger.

"I- I'm sorry, I just..." He starts to pull away, but I turn his head back towards me.

"No. Tell me what happened."

He sits there for a second, unsure what to do. "I j-just..."

"Who did this to you?" I say, unmoving. He can tell that I'm not going to let him leave until he tells me what truly happened.