Chapter 9 - Time to Panic

Noah POV

I reluctantly press send on my message to Adam. He's not going to like this.

- We need to talk to you

- We're on our way to your apartment

I stare at the screen for a few minutes, but he doesn't respond. Sighing, I look out the window beside me. We're doing this is to help him. I need to remember that.

- Not Long After -

We finally make it to the front door of the apartment. We had to ask the front desk which room was his, which only made this more prolonged and awkward.

I knock on the door. I think I hear some talking inside. I knock again. Finally, someone answers the door.

"Hello?" The gruff man asks, who I assume to be his boyfriend. I am a bit thrown off, expecting petite Adam, but quickly remember why we're here.

"We're friends of Adam's. Can we talk to him?" Daniel says from beside me, and I notice that the man's voice seems oddly familiar.

However, the man's frown turns into a scowl as he hears Adam's name. I try to look past him, but he has the door opened just enough so his large frame covers the entire opening.

"Goodbye." He scowls, slamming the door shut. James, however, decides that we aren't done with this conversation.

James stops the door right before it closes, pushing it open again. The man glares at us.

He starts saying something when I realize that he is no longer blocking our view of the apartment. I look past him, only to find possibly the most disturbing sights I've ever seen. For context, I watched my puppy get run over by a lawn mower when I was six.

"Adam!" I shout desperately, shoving the man out of my way and running towards him.

He is on the far side of the room, near the kitchen. His legs shake as he leans against the wall behind him, hunched over as tears stream down his face. One arm is desperately clutching his gut, and he looks as though he's just taken a terrible blow. His shaky hand covers his mouth as he stifles sobs. His eyes are squeezed shut, and he doesn't bother looking up at me.

I reach the shaking figure and reach out to help him, but he throws himself into the corner the second my fingers brush his arm.

He tumbles to the floor, shaking violently. He slowly scoots into the corner, the horrified look on his face mirroring mine.

I slowly kneel down, trying my best not to scare him.

"Calm down, dove. I'm not going to hurt you." I say in a calm tone, reaching out to pick him up. He lets me, and I lift him into my arms. I feel him shove his face into my chest, shaking more with each sob.

I turn around to see James fighting the man as Daniel talks on the phone, likely to the police.

"GET YOUR FUCKING HANDS OFF HIM!" The man screams as James pins him to the wall.

Adam grabs my shirt and shoves his face deeper into my chest.

"Shhh, it's okay, you're safe." I coo, holding him closer while paying very close attention to the man's every move.