Chapter 44

Ymron, Biegor, and the other two hunters swam, the cold water threatening to pull them away. They had left their provisions behind with Rainik, after all who wanted their food to get wet?

And Rainik had been really afraid so Ymron had decided to leave him behind. “Rainik is not fit to be in this hunter group.” Ymron said as they climbed out at the other side. “He is a coward. We will get rid of him later on.”
Biegor and the other two agreed.

They quickly moved on to where they had seen the figures, but did not see anyone. “There.” Biegor pointed toward Cret.

Two young men in dirty clothes where standing near the river, arguing about something. Even through the light wasn't very good Ymron recognized their clothes immediately. They were soldiers, and they didn't seem bothered to be so close to Cret.

“It's not them!” Ymron hissed. “That means...” He swung his head around to look at the river Ror. “They already crossed.”

“What now?” Biegor asked.

“Let's see if the two soldiers know anything, then we kill them. We need to find the people we are really after. It could be that they were part of those other humans companions.” Ymron spoke.

However, before they could start moving a loud yell echoed from the woods at the other side of Ror.

“Rainik. Something has happened.” Ymron's eyes narrowed. “Leave the
soldiers, we need to get back to Rainik immediately.”

Rainik was relieved. He really didn't want to get near Cret or the Desolated Land. In the last few days they hadn't gotten much time to rest, so Rainik sat down under a tree. He closed his eyes and relaxed.

Suddenly Rainik's eyes snapped open, he heard light footsteps coming nearer. It was barely light under the trees, and Rainik squinted his eyes. He suddenly thought about the ghosts Ymron had mentioned. Maybe they had found a way over the river?

Rainik's heart beat quickly and his hand touched the hilt of his sword. He slowly got up. In the dim light he saw a shape with tattered cloths and white hair. But that was not the only thing, Rainik sensed something with powerful magical energy. Without losing another second he yelled out the alarm and then with all his might ran away.

He hoped Ymron and the others would come, maybe they could do something. After a while Rainik remembered the provisions and felt uneasy. Ymron would kill him if the provisions where gone. Reluctantly Rainik went back the way he came and stopped.

He heard voices. “The provisions are gone.” Ymron growled. Rainik froze.

“As is Rainik, there were at least three people here.” Biegor muttered.

“Well, at least that is one good thing, we would have gotten rid of him
anyway along the way. It is pointless to search for his body. What way do the tracks go?”

“What are we going to do? We got their provisions, but they will find us soon.” Regorn looked worried.

“That stupid Migor, why did he and Mevin say they would cross the river in the morning when it is warmer? Now we will have to go get them.”
Grenin sounded unhappy.

Werlek's voice was cold. “We could fight against them head on. We are four, they are five. However we have the wonder bracelet, so it shouldn't be a problem to kill them.”

“Do not underestimate them.” Grenin frowned. “If we face them there is a good chance that some of us will die.”

“I will face them alone.” Grenin, Werlek and Regorn turned to
stare at Aresa. “With the bracelet they can't kill me easily, and I'm sure I will be able to kill them eventually.”

“No.” Werlek and Regorn said at the same time.

“I'm a better fighter, and I have more experience.” Werlek stated.

“Yes, give him the bracelet.” Regorn agreed. “We will stay in the shadows and when necessary step in.”

Before Aresa could react Werlek had the bracelet on, and disappeared into the woods.

“Be as quiet as you can.” Grenin instructed. “We will follow him
slowly.”

Aresa was unhappy at how things had turned out, but she kept her mouth shut.

Ymron whispered, “Someone is coming, spread out.” The hunters
immediately obeyed, and Ymron came to a stop.

A man was running their way, he had a sword in his hand. Ymron shook his head, the man was a fool.

Ymron didn't even need to give the
command, Biegor had already shot.

The man stumbled when the arrow lodged itself in his neck. Biegor came out from behind a tree and approached the man quickly.

Biegor lifted his sword to cut the man's head of, however the man stabbed forward with his sword, right into Biegor's heart.

Shook shot through Ymron and
the rest of the hunters. The man pulled the arrow out of his neck.

“Fire!” Ymron yelled. Three arrows shot immediately, but the man ducked in behind a tree. Ymron could feel anger and hate welling up. How was that rat of a human alive?

Charging forward Ymron engaged the man in battle. The two other Dragon Hunters attacked from behind, and the man nearly didn't block the hits.

Working together they quickly started to gain the upper hand. With the corner of his eye Ymron saw someone watching the fight.

He glanced that way, and recognized her face immediately. It was that girl that should have been dead. The one that took his eye.

Leaving the fight Ymron moved with incredible speed. He had only one objective. To cut her head of.

The girl's eyes widened and she lifted a knife to block Ymron's first attack, however Ymron knew she wasn't a match for him.

Slashing repeatedly with incredible speed, Ymron smiled as his sword cut her arm.

Instead of dropping her knife, the girl threw it. Ymron was caught of guard, and he couldn't dodge. The knife stuck into his shoulder.

Ymron however didn't waist any time. He sprang forward, and the girl tired to move back. She stumbled and fell,
Ymron's sword just missing her head.

Ymron stabbed down, and the girl tried to roll away, but the blade went through her arm.

“You will die, and I will kill all your friends.” Ymron sneered, leaning over her.

“I doubt it.” The girl muttered, and she grabbed the hilt of the
sword tightly so Ymron couldn't pull it out.

Ymron heard someone approaching him from behind, and spun around. A sword slashed down at him, but he lifted his arm.

The blade went till his bone, and Ymron had enough time to pull the knife out of his shoulder.

However, he had forgotten about the girl for a second, and that proved fateful. His own sword pierced him, and he slowly fell forward.

“Aresa?” Werlek crouched down beside her.