Chapter 14

Werlek ran through the woods. The river had washed him half a mile down river.

He thought about how that girl had escaped. That would not happen again. He would be very careful to not
let her get away when he caught her again. As for the others, he knew that two of them were family with the girl. But the other one? Werlek was sure he had never seen him before. He
wondered who he was. Well, he would find out soon.

Werlek saw a village. It was not very far away, and Werlek decided that
he would stop by it.

The village was not very big. The people of the village looked surprised to see him. Then a young man came out of a house and when he saw Werlek, he came to greet him.

Werlek's clothes were very simple, and there was no sine that he was a soldier.

After the young man greeted Werlek he warned, “Greetings traveller. You better look out, there were robbers here. One of them, a girl, leaded them. The robbers stole provisions. We could do nothing. If you wander the woods alone, you have to look out. Those robbers are dangerous. Why
doesn’t the king sent soldiers here to catch all these outlaws? We sent one of our men to go to Tarbor and try to convince some soldiers to come, but I doubt he will achieve anything.”
The young man sighted. “We'll only have to be on our guard and hope
the robbers don't come back.”

Werlek smiled to himself, but from outside his expression did not change.

He asked the man, “Do you know what way the robbers went?”

The man answered, “Yes, I think they went straight west. Don't know what they want to go to that wilderness for. Maybe they are going to make a revolution against the king. Really, soldiers should come and look at this. Why do you want to know were the robbers went?”

Werlek answered in a serious tone, “I don't want to get caught by surprise. You said west into the woods? I won't go that way. I heard some soldiers are coming this way. Give them this paper.”

Werlek walked out of the village. The girl and her companions went west, but then they turned to go upwards, following the river, Werlek saw by the tracks.

If he had not been a expert in tracking he would have been fooled to go west.

Werlek did not walk into the direction of the river. Instead he walked strait on.

He was going to take a big short cut. The river gave a long bend, and if Werlek walked strait on, he would come to the river faster than they. He smiled. He would sit and wait till they came. Then he would ambush them.

He had written to the soldiers that they had to take the short cut as well. If luck was with Werlek, the soldiers would reach him before the girl and her companions came there.

“It feels like we are going much faster now. It was good that all those prisoners didn't come with us.” said Dion. “How far do you think we have to go more?”

“Far, I think.” Thon answered. They walked further in silence.

The river flowed silently beside them. At the other side of the river they could see green hills, were no trees grew. It looked like a peaceful country.

At one place the river got wider, and
they could see that a other river came into Ror. It was littler and the water looked very pale blue, and nothing grew at it's side.

“That river looks poisonous. Or dead.” Aresa muttered as she stared at the river. “Do you know what is it's name?”

“No. I have never seen this river before.” Regorn answered.