Chapter 18

Aresa sat alone in a tent. After Silak had talked to Dion, she and Regorn had been separated, and she did not know where he or Dion were. She felt hopeless. If only she had listened to Thon. Where was he now? Was he at Vedor, waiting for them? Or was he nearby trying to rescue them?

Aresa felt afraid. There were many soldiers, and it seemed impossible to escape.

Suddenly Aresa heard soldiers call outside. Their voices went further away, and they sounded excited. Thon! They must have found him. Aresa tried to free herself from the
bonds, but they were to tight. Her hands and feet were bound. She tried desperately to get herself free. Somebody came into the tent. It was Silak.

He looked angry and yelled, “Where are your friends? If you don't tell me, I'll kill you.”

Aresa did not say anything. She pressed her lips together. She was afraid, but she would say nothing. Silak came nearer. He pulled out his sword, and held it against Aresa's
neck. “This is your last chance. If you don't tell me where your friends are, I'm going to kill you.”

“I don't know were my friends are. You took them away, so you should know were they are? '' Aresa growled.

“Not those friends! The other friends,” Silak said angrily.

“What other friends? My only friend is Regorn, Dion is my brother. I don't have any other friends.”

A soldier came into the tent, and asked, “Sir? Come quickly! We caught him.” Silak left the tent in a hurry.

Aresa heard him speak to someone.
“You thought you could get away?” Silak laughed.

Aresa heard Thon saying, “Yes, I thought I could. And I will.”

There was a moment silence, then Silak snapped, “You can't escape. Do you know how many soldiers are here? You will never escape.”

Thon continued smiling. Silak was angry at how calm Thon was, it really looked like Thon was sure he would get away.

Well, Silak would make sure that he would not escape. That was when a soldier yelled, “They have escaped! The girl and the boy.” Silak could not believe his ears. He had been by the girl only seconds ago. How could she have escaped?

Another soldier came running to where Silak was standing. Silak turned to him. The soldier gasped, “We found the soldiers who were supposed to bind Werlek. They all are unconscious with serious wounds.” Silak cursed. How could Werlek escape? He was wounded, and now he had taken out four of his best men?! Silak had never been so angry in
his life. Everything seemed to go wrong.

“Find him! Now!” He screamed at the soldiers standing close.“If you don't get him, I'll skin you alive! Start moving! Find him!”Silak knew that he had made a mistake. Werlek was a dangerous man, he should have rather worked with him, then against him. But now it was to late to change things.

Silak stared after the soldiers. He turned back to Thon, but froze. Thon was gone. Silak felt as if he would explode from anger.

Grenin walked towards the captain. Everybody was afraid ofhim, but he had an important message. Grenin took his courage together and asked, “Master?”

Therinon turned to the young man. “What do you want?” Therinon growled.

“Master, I have a important massage. There are soldiers near Dragoor and Vedor. They-” Grenin was interrupted.

“What?” Therinon bellowed. “Soldiers? What are they doing there?”

“They were chasing-”

“Chasing what?” Therinon interrupted again.

Grenin was angry at being interrupted again, but he calmly spoke, “They were chasing some people--”

“What people?” Therinon bellowed.

“They were chasing five humans,” Grenin answered.

“Do you know were the humans were going?” Therinon asked.

“It looked like they were going to Dragoor and Vedor,” Grenin
answered.

“Dragoor and Vedor? Are you sure? Why would they want to go to Dragoor and Vedor?” Therinon asked.

“I don't know, master.”

“Go with five fighters. Capture all the soldiers, and the four humans,” Therinon commanded.

Grenin asked, “Only five fighters? We can't catch them with only five men! They will overpower us!”

“Are you telling me you can't catch them?” Before Grenin could answer Therinon, Therinon growled, “Look what has happened to the new generation. They're cowards and
useless fighters. I bet twenty of you could not even kill one dragon. When I was young, I could kill a dragon with two of my comrades. And now you're afraid to catch some soldiers, even if you have five fighters! Useless, stupid, cowards. Five fighters could kill at least two dragons. All the soldiers in
Naresh could not even kill one dragon, and you are afraid they'll overpower you?” Therinon laughed mockingly. “Now go! Show those filthy humans that coming into our forest will have consequences.”

Grenin hurried away, he did not want to hear any more of Therinon's insults. Therinon called an insult after him, “Are you one of the Dragon Hunters, or a weakling human?”