Chapter 12 (Mature) - First Shootout

Começar do início

I waited a few seconds before running for the next car parallel to the woods. I skidded to my knees as I stumbled behind it. Pure adrenaline pumped through my veins as I went to the woods. I had to believe that Nico would be okay. I'd only slow him down or get him hurt. After taking another deep breath, I ran the last leg of the journey to the woods. Almost there. A shot blasted into the tree that I had just passed. Someone almost blew my head off. I finally collapsed behind a tree after about twenty minutes of running. The breathlessness I felt was nothing compared to my worry over Nico. How was he supposed to find me? Maybe I should not have run. Perhaps I could've helped. Doubt over every decision I had made today plagued me.

...

A twig snapped not far away from my position. I closed my eyes and tried to strain my hearing. What if they killed Nico and came to finish me off? I covered my mouth to quiet my breathing as the crunching of leaves stopped. I was strung so tight that I could not tell if I was imagining things now. Just as I peeked out behind the tree, a hand grabbed my arm and pinned me to the tree. I went to scream only to have a hand cover my mouth.

"It's me." Relief filled me at the sound of Nico's deep voice. "Now, if I release my hand, are you going to scream?" I shook my head no. As much as I wanted to yell at him for scaring me, I didn't. Instead, I hugged him in relief. After breathing in his scent, I relaxed. He's okay. Only a chuckle broke my fog. I pulled away and backed up a few steps. "Didn't know you cared so much giggles." Nico's amusement after everything pissed me off.

"I don't actually care if you are okay or not. Considering how directionally challenged I am, I was just worried about how I would get out of these woods." I played it off as I looked around the woods. "No more bad guys?" I turned towards Nico and found him slumped against a tree, holding his side. "Nico? What's wrong." I finally noticed the side of his shirt stained with a dark red. Was he shot? He slowly lifted his shirt to show the bullet wound that was slowly leaking blood. I slapped his arm. "You idiot. Why didn't you say anything?"

"Did you just slap a mortally wounded man?" I rolled my eyes at his dramatics.

"We need to get that cleaned and taken care of. Where's the nearest hospital?"

Nico grunted in pain. "No hospitals."

"What? You need that to be looked at."

He glared at me. "No. Hospital."

"Then what do you suggest?"

"There's a...cabin...not far...from here." He was struggling to talk through the pain.

"Fine. Which direction?"

...

"Thank god." I huffed at the sight of a small, broken-down cabin. "Where the hell are we? How did you know about this place?" I turned to Nico, who had turned pale. I rushed forward to help him, but he tried to refuse. "Stop being all tough, guy Nico and just accept my damn help."

"It's not a big deal."

"You could bleed out."

"But I'm not." He pointed out with a smile.

"Not yet."

"Let's get inside so you can patch me up."

I blanched, "Me?"

"Yes, you. It went all the way through and missed any vital organs. I think."

"Not funny. How the hell do you know about this place?"

"It's one of our old safe houses. Hasn't been used in a long time. Come on." I helped the stubborn idiot into the small cabin, placed him on the couch, and searched for medical supplies. A few minutes later, I returned with a first aid kit from the bathroom.