Part Two, Chapter Eighteen: Sellout

Start from the beginning

"Hold, let me put you on hold. Someone just shot at me." 

"Wha— B—!" 

She pressed the button on her arm cuff that paused the call and waved her arm, creating a force field. She whipped around to face her assailant. 

He was a man probably just as young as her, wearing salvaged body armor, who's hands shook so badly as he held his gun that it was almost laughable. It was no wonder he missed the shot with resolve like that. She had been such an easy target too. 

When she turned around, his eyes widened in surprise, and he reflexively fired out six more desperate shots. Each one of them bounced off of the forcefield as she slowly walked closer to him. She gave him a disapproving glare and crossed her arms. 

"Can you be careful with that? One of those might bounce off and kill you, and if you die then I'm going to have to fill out so much paperwork, and I sort of already have a lot going on right now." 

He yelped and fired one more shot. 

She waved her hand, and the gun flew out of his hand and into the lake below them with a pitiful plop. 

"Try not to pee your pants." She told him. "I'm not gonna hurt you that bad." 

Beatrice didn't even have to react fast, because the man just stood there, clearly frozen with fear. Instead of using her powers, she used her foot to hook his ankle and sweep him off of his feet like Lin had shown her to do. She smirked when he hit the ground of the pier with a satisfying thud and let out a string of profanity. 

"Wow, that was fun." 

Before long she had his hands cuffed behind his back and his face down on the ground. She sat on his back, and got back on the call with TJ. 

"Hey are you still there?" .

"Jesus Christ, B! Are you okay?" 

She winced at the panic in his voice, and suddenly felt bad about mentioning being shot and also being so blasé about it. She knew she should be more mindful of how he felt. 

"Yeah, sorry for stressing you out. I'm fine." She said, "I probably should have been paying better attention anyway." 

"No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been bothering you at work anyway just because I was worried." 

"It's fine. I wanted to talk to you anyway." She said, "I've got to get going anyway. I need to meet back up with Lin." 

"Okay, bye, B. Please stay safe."

"Bye TJ."

She ended the call and sent Lin a quick message to let him know that she had one of the three men contained. The man she had apprehended started to flail around underneath her, but she just pretended like she didn't notice or care. 

"Hey!" He finally said. 

She rolled her eyes. 

"What?" 

"You know, before you started to work for the police, I thought you were cool." He said. 

Beatrice narrowed her eyes at him. 

"I don't work for the police."

"You work for the government with the police." He said. "That's almost the same. You're saving an oil pipe." 

"I'm just paying my bills." She responded, trying to sound disinterested, like he wasn't getting under her skin. 

"Isn't that why you have a rich, capitalist girlfriend?"