33

"So Foolish you're going to build up the land around wherever we choose to live?" I ask, finally being able to get some conversation out of the five men.

"That's the plan. I'm the only one with enough will and patience to build something so delicate. Something that will influence our entire future." Foolish's voice is commanding. But there's a wit to his words. A tinge of playfulness hanging off his every word.

"How did you get your soulmate?" I look at Clay for a moment. He's walking ahead with Nick. It seems as though they have some beef to work out. It's best if they sort it out themselves. We can't go into any of this with riffs. It will be our downfall. We can have a downfall. This needs to be a one and done deal.

"Actually..." Foolish trails off and looks toward Techno. The silence between them holds a tension. But Techno encourages him to continue on.

"My soulmate was sent off to the unspoken about lands. Thanks to Dream I was given the opportunity to switch over to a government job to move to a soulmate land. Dream's only request in return was for my help." Foolish shrugs. "But it's okay, I don't need love to prove anything. I have my friends. It's the best decision I've made really. I will now have the opportunity to make a connection with someone who I wouldn't have been able to before. Live life how they did hundreds of years ago. I'm ready for it."

I can feel the happiness radiating off of Foolish as he speaks. I expect a hint of sadness but there isn't even an ounce. He's excited for more adventures. He seems like one who could live off a life full of exploring. He's got the physique for it.

"What about you, Techno?" I try not to look at him. He still scares me to the core and I've spent days with him. Days of being clung to Clay's side because I cannot bear a moment alone with such a terrifying thing.

"Oh, you know. Just here to fight if need be." His monotone voice drags out so nonchalantly. It's almost as if he's hurt someone before. But I can't imagine such a thing. There's no way he'd be this far past government lines if he had. He would have been sent to the unspoken about land ages ago.

"Ah." I go silent and don't push on anymore. I can't bear to look at him. I don't want to have a conversation with him either. I've heard he's good at control. I've heard it's best to have him on our side. And I leave it at that. The rest of it isn't worth it.

Now Phil, I've been able to get bits and bobs out from him. He's not as closed off as Foolish and Tencho have been. Then again the Techno off putting could be completely from myself. Either way, I don't need to press him for conversation when I already know his answers to the same questions.

But I do have one question I've been dying to ask the knowledgeable man. I've just feared what he would respond. It was either now or never. I didn't know what tomorrow held and now was my chance.

"Phil, in my book, when I had it, I saw numbers. What are those numbers?" I look at the ground as I ask the once mentor. I fear his reaction to my question.

"Numbers?" Phil questions with his brows furrowed together. "Oh wait, Q's your mentor right?" I nod my head in response. His reaction has my heart too sad look up.

"Q is a weird one when it comes to books. He uses numbers to indicate when you've met a person. Each number correlates to a person. It's how long they've been out in the world. If their number is zero, they already have a soulmate. It's his way of keeping track of who you've met. And before you ask, yes mentors write your book. We're always watching." Phil smiles at me as I look up from the dirt below all of us.

"Hya come!" Clay calls from the front of the pack. I run up carefully and stand at Clay's side. George follows, unable to live with the idea of being left out of whatever is being said.