2

"Wait!" Clay calls after us, George is fast on his heels as he tries to catch up with Nick and I. "We can join."

"We never asked for you to join." I pull Nick and I to a stop as I turn to speak to Clay. He has his brows furrowed at my immediate denial of him attending.

"Nick, can George and I join?" Clay immediately asks his friend. As if I have no say in this. It may be my first day but that doesn't mean my feelings are irrelevant. My emotions matter just as much as anyone else's. We all have one goal and frankly you aren't making this any easier dickwad.

"I don't know if you guys would really like to join us in our escapades. You guys like to be straight and narrow." Nick smirks. He keeps his voice hushed though. If anyone or anything catches glimpses of us trying to 'break rules' we will be stuck in our bleak pods for days.

"Can't risk pretty boy's chances at finding someone better than you." I nod my head towards George. George is a pretty boy. He's your stereotypical model faced boy. He's got what some people call pretty privilege. His looks win him what he needs. It makes his job of finding a soulmate pretty difficult. Or at least that's what I've heard.

The prettier you are the harder it is to find your true love. People will manipulate you to get what they want. The manipulators are the ones with broken timers. Never trust a soul with a broken timer. They will ruin you. Your timer breaks when the system thinks you are trying to sabotage yourself and others chances. It can't let you ruin other people's lives. The system is flawed. Because humans are flawed.

"Hey." George holds his hands up in defense, "I've done nothing wrong here."

"It was a compliment." I try to tug Nick away from his friends but he doesn't seem to want to move. He's got other ideas on his mind.

"You've already spent half your time locked away for rule breaking Nick, you really want more time away?" Clay states. "Your timer is running low and if you think this one is your soulmate," Clay gestures towards me, "You might as well give up on happiness."

"Dream!" George whacks Clay's arm. And if I knew I could get away with it I would have probably done the same.

"Clay knows your time?" I look at Nick. Rule number one, no one and absolutely no one is ever to know what time reads upon your wrist. There is no exception.

"Shut up!" Clay clasps his hand over my mouth and pulls me off in a direction with his friends. Nothing like trying to fucking hold me hostage. Hello? Cameras? Someone! Anyone! Save me?!

"Why the fuck does he know your time?" I grill Nick. I knew right away he was a rule breaker but breaking a rule like this could get everyone banished. I'm sorry this is my first day and there is no way in actual hell I'm being banished from this life.

"Clay knows all." Nick says simply. "He probably knows the number that reads across your wrist right now."

My eyes move from Nick to Clay. I shoot a questioning glance at him waiting for a response that never comes. "Well, do you?" I cross my arms over my chest. No way he can read the number now.

"No." Clay says with hesitancy hanging heavy in his eyes. I watch the way his eyes shift down my body as if to read everything of my past, present, and future. It feels intrusive yet at the same time I want to invite him in to do so. Even though he's an absolute royal cunt.

"Well you won't ever know." I roll my eyes as I turn my back to walk away from the boys. If they want to come they can. It's my first day. I would like to break rules and adventure past curfew.

Nick runs to catch up with me, placing his hand into mine. Fire. That fucking fire of another's touch. I could fall in love with it. They teach us about falling in love and what it would feel like. And fuck did I feel that when that fire lit against our skin.