4

After spending half the day exploring lands I had never set foot on, Nick takes me back to the courtyard where I had met my enemy. Or according to my book, he was not my enemy.

Clay and George are sat in the same positions we had left them in the day before. If I believed in magic I would say they were frozen in time. That is how eerily similar it seemed to the day before.

I dreaded the walk to the place that seemed so horrid. Even though I walked out of my room and headed for this same exact location it didn't mean that I was happy to be here. I didn't want to deal with the ridicule of the dickwad. But dealing with the dickwad was more appealing than spending the day alone.

"Welcome back Bitch." Clay says as Nick and I approach. He doesn't turn and look back at our arrival. It's as if he just senses our presence. Like he could hear us, smell us, coming from a mile away.

"It's Hyacinth." I say proud. Proud that I had a name and that I was no longer a number.

I sit down across from Clay with my arms crossed tightly against my chest as if to challenge a man who never seems to have a challenge. He acted as if he were a God. As if he ruled this land.

"Hyacinth?" He laughs. "Really? You think you're the flower of the sun God Apollo?" He shakes his head at me as he sits up in his chair. The relaxed demeanor he shared with George completely shifting away like it never existed.

"You are no sign of peace or power." He huffs to himself as if offended that I would even have a name of such pride. I could not have a connection to anything greater than he. He was the best, the greatest. No one could contend.

"Dream." George places his hand against the bare skin of Clay's arm. His demeanor shifts soft again. It's as if George's touch pulls the anger straight from his body. Like George has a secret power of mood control. But none of us have powers and it's all just in my head.

"I named her." Nick speaks up looking at the man he's known for years. "I took her to Bluebell." Nick says softly. Like his words will be questioned. Like Clay will punish him for even speaking of Bluebell.

"Bluebell?" Clay returns a response to Nick. His tone is harsh, his bark stronger than his bite. He's ravenous. Feral even. At least in this moment, he is to fear.

"You know it's the only place worth seeing." Nick says hushed because that statement is quite false. He took me because it's the only place in the land mute from the world. Mute from the government. Mute from the people in control.

"You barely know her and you take her to Bluebell?" Clay questions harshly again but George's hand returns. Again Clay's attitude shifts as he leans back in his chair. A deep breath exhaling from his tight lungs.

"She can be trusted. Q is her guide. She won't dislodge our plans. She's in. Please just open up to her Clay. I know the two of you got off on the wrong foot but give her a chance." Nick practically begs his slowly calming friend.

"I'm not calling her Hyacinth." He grumbles out. This man is so stubborn. I knew that from the moment that I saw him that his body was riddled with stubbornness. Just something about the way he held himself.

"Clay." Nick adjusts his posture making himself more... authoritative. He demands that Clay listens to his words.

"Don't try to overmind me. Who do you think you are?" Clay furrows his brows at Nick. Clay is the ruler of this land. It's his way or no way. By the way he's acting there is no doubt in my mind that he has been here longer than everyone. He knows all. What he says goes. He is right. The rest of us... we will always be wrong.

George reaches again. His touch ignites against Clay. I can see it. I can see the blue glow form around the place of their touch. This is different and new. I've never seen anything quite like it. It sparks my attention but Clay quickly pulls away and the blue glow disperses.