22

Rain begins to fall in the middle of the night. The ground we lay upon soaks. Mud clumps around our shoes as we try to run for cover. But there is no cover in sight. We must spend the unseeable future feeling raindrops patter against our skin.

After hours of the cold drops hitting the surface of my body, every part of my being begins to shake. I am freezing. No amount of burn from Clay's touch will warm me. I am tainted by the cold. Again, we are miserable.

It's another night of no sleep. With the ground as drenched as it is by the time the rain stops, I don't know if we will get a chance for a peaceful sleep any time soon. The uncontrollable shivers do not stop. Sleep is not in my future.

"You look horrendous." Clay says as he pulls his wet shirt from his skin. I study the curves of his body as I seem to always do. I can't help that my eyes wander, they have a mind of their own, don't they?

"Gee thanks." I follow his suit. Stripping out of the cold, soaked clothing is the only way to warm.

I wish I could have some smart remark back. But he looks ravishing. I can't say that he looks awful because even at his worst he looks better than I ever will. He was blessed in his looks as I've said before. He has been made well in at least one way in life.

When I finish staring at his bare body I trace my eyes to his. They're jumping around my bare skin. Taking in the sight I so rarely give. I've only done it once, and it was the one time he wasn't supposed to look. And somehow we ended up naked together in the water.

"Horrendous enough to stare?" My words catch his focus and his eyes quickly dart to meet mine. You've been caught red handed mister.

"Fuck off." Clay turns away from me and I fight the urge to reach out and slap my hand against his bare ass. Despite no sleep I feel more alive than I have in days. The rain has awaken something deep inside of me. A playful side that's been waiting to come out.

"I like staring too." I say softly. I close the distance between the two of us, pressing my bare body flush against his back. He has warmth. Despite us absolutely freezing, his body has already begun to unthaw.

Clay peaks over his shoulder as I wrap my arms around him from behind. "Hya—" Clay's voice breaks before he can say anymore. He's never struggled to get words out in the past. Why was he struggling now?

"You're so warm." I nuzzle my head into his back. An action he has done to me countless times now. Whenever I get a chance to close my eyes, he snuggles into me. He buries his face into my chest. He uses me for his warmth. It's about time I get what I need.

"If you want Nick back, we shouldn't be touching like this." Clay forces out. I can tell it's forced by how hard he swallows before and after he speaks. This is so unlike him.

I step back away from Clay. But I don't step back for Nick. I step back in anger because he got to do this when he needed to, wanted to. But when I want to feel a bit of affection I get Nick thrown over my head like a looming cloud. This just isn't fair.

"Fine." I grab my clothes from the muddy ground and storm off. I don't care about the animals in the world that can kill me. I just need to get away from him. For the first time since our escape I need fucking space. Clay knows how to find me.

***

After slinging my clothes over a tree to dry out in the sun I am finally able to lace up in my clothing again. I feel comfort in the way the clothes I once hated cling to my skin. I feel less vulnerable to the world. But mostly, to him.

"Hya!" I hear being called out through the forest but I don't respond. I ran off for a reason. I needed distance and space. I'm still not ready to see his face.