3

The book's statements run wild through my mind as I close my eyes and try to wash away it's words. I can already tell I'm going to have a love-hate relationship with this book. All it will ever be is cryptic notes meant to help us. But I don't do cryptic things. I do facts. Hand it to me straight. Don't make me figure it out. I have enough to figure out already. Like how the fuck I'm supposed to live.

After hours of tossing and turning my mind finally goes numb and my world goes dark. Dark until the lights in my room flick on and a new day begins. I swear I've only just drifted off but there is no disobeying. When it's time to wake... you wake. It's time to do this whole soul searching thing again. All while the words written on once blank pages continue to drift through my mind.

I roll out of my bed and take a glance in the mirror. My hair points in every direction. I'm far from what is acceptable. I walk into the bathroom and turn the water to scolding hot. I can't get rid the feeling of the fire igniting against my skin from the boy's touch.

As much as I don't want that feeling to go away. I feel like if I scold my skin with water, maybe it will make it dissipate. Be a little less... distracting. It's a constant burn. I can't think straight anymore.

I step inside the shower and scream as the water burns my skin. "Two-Five-Three-Two-Zero-Two-Two," a robotic voice takes over my room, "is everything okay in there?"

The robotic voice has taunted me for years. It's like a thorn in my side. One buried so deep that it can't escape. It's what I picture having a sibling would be like. Pestering you constantly, not allowed to have a thought of your own.

"I'm fine." I grumble out as my body leaves it's tightened state. The water no longer burns. It just... relaxes.

"Your water temperature has been set way too high. Let us fix that for you." I groan to myself. Because you never give attitude to the voice. It will make you suffer. Always abide. Always.

"Thank you." I say in a fake chipper tone as the water's temperature drops. The burn still holds but the water freezes me to the core. This isn't what I want. But we don't get what we want here. Not unless you're like Nick who gets away with most.

A bloop sounds as the robot voice disappears. I'm alone again. But not for long. Alarms will soon sound and I'll go back out into the world. Back out where demons and angels exist. Where Clay and Nick collide. Where personalities roam wild. Where we are uncensored and free. Okay, maybe that's a little bit of a lie. But we are more free than we are in the four walls of our room.

As I go to grab my outfit for the day, one that matches the exact same thing I wore the day before, I notice a change. My white shirt no longer reads a long number. It doesn't say 2532022 anymore. In a print so dainty and angelic I read Hyacinth. The world will know the name I have been given now. I will match the rest. My alter will appear now. I am no longer just a number.

Alarms blare and the hissing sound of my door opening pierces my ear. It's time to escape. I run my fingers over the red ink in my skin. Two-hundred-fifty-two. I am not broken. My number has changed. I am doing something right.

I start to head towards the same courtyard I spent the previous day in when I hear my name being called from behind me. My feet pull to a halt as I'm greeted by Q and a counterpart. Someone I haven't met before. As I study the two of them I notice their hands are linked together. This must be his soulmate. His partner. The stolen one.

"Hyacinth." Q says as he catches up with my frozen position. "This is Karl." Q lights up as he says Karl's name. I can see why they're soulmates. They both seem to have a glow around them. A glow I haven't noticed around others. I have never seen a soulmate pair before. Most of them move on to new communities. Communities full of just other soulmate pairs. Unless you're like Q. Then you stay.