Chapter 19: Tears and slamming doors.

-WRITTEN- : 12th May, 2022.

-PUBLISH-: 15th May, 2022.

I jumped up and down, squealing at the announcement of the Percy Jackson trio of Percy, Annabeth and Grover. I clicked on the photo as the tags popped up, I found the accounts of Leah and Aryan and started following them.

I could hear my parents from downstairs as they told me they were going out to their friend's house and to keep them updated on my well-being. "Okay, Ma" I said as I heard the garage close and the car's engine start. I hopped out of bed and rushed downstairs, making sure everything was closed.

I had this sort of fear of being watched ever since last week, I hadn't heard from my friends because the Martin and Whitewood siblings were out doing God knows what and Nevaeh was hanging out at a friend's place...... 'And not to mention Diego's jealous because she's hanging out with another guy.'

I scrolled through Instagram as my phone rang. "Hey," I froze at the sound of the voice I heard. Panic built up in my chest as I tried my best not to cry. "Evelyn, I– I know you can hear me," I dropped my phone as I rushed towards the living room, trying to find my parents car. 'Call Ma,' The logical part of my brain screamed as I rushed back into the kitchen and grabbed the landline phone.

'021 *** ***' I dialed the number as it rang, I prayed for my mum to pick it up as the phone quickly went to voicemail. I called again as there was a knock on the front door. I could hear a voice as the voice on my phone grew louder. "I know you can hear me Evelyn, I– I'm trying to do better Hon," I cautiously picked up my phone as my hands started shaking.

'I– He's supposed to be gone. . . this is a prank call,' I breathed in and out as I picked up the phone and placed it against my ear. Walking towards the door, I grabbed Diego's old baseball bat from the supply closet.

I mentally counted to three and unlocked the door as it swung open. I raised my bat just in time as Kaleb caught it. I ignored the fact that my heart was racing and dropped onto my knees as I threw my phone against the floor.

I could still hear his voice, I could still feel the fear in my chest tightening. I hiccuped as tears streamed down my cheeks and stained the floor; marking them as the moment I knew he would always be there.

"I– I—-" Kaleb knelt down and hugged me as I tried to speak. I was still shaking as the fear and panic let go of me. "I'm so sorry," I rushed out as he shushed me and embraced me in his warm hug.

"It's okay, whatever happened can't get to you, I promise you," He said as time seemed to freeze in the moment of our hug. I sniffed as we pulled apart. I tried to smile at him as he let out a soft laugh and untangled my hair from my hair tie.

I stayed on the floor as Kaleb closed the front door and locked it. I felt his eyes on me as he picked up my phone from the floor and handed it to me. "Throw it out," I whispered. He knelt down and lifted my chin making me look at him, I felt his thumb brush my tears away and he picked me up. I squealed as he walked towards the living room and placed me on the couch.

I snuggled against him as he froze. I knew that if I wasn't still filled with fear I wouldn't have done that but right now, I needed him and his comfort. He slowly wrapped his arms around me but didn't place them on my waist.

"What happened?" He whispered. I shrugged as we breathed in each other's comfort. "Charlie's baseball game is happening." He said as I shrugged my shoulders causing my hair to fall in front of my face. He slowly pulled away from me and took off his hoodie, causing his shirt to move a little up. I looked away at the clock reading 3: 09 pm.

He handed the hoodie to me as I got up and wore it, it was big and warm on me causing me to smile widely. He patted the seat next to him as I sat down. I watched as he cautiously placed his arms around me again.