39

JAEMIN got home just in time to see hyunjin dropping her off. Micha hugged Hyunjin and walked inside calmly. Jaemin looked to her driveway and saw it empty, making him realise why she was casually entering. He was happy on her behalf that her parents weren't there, but his own happiness fell when he and Hyunjin made eye contact.

Hyunjin jogged across the road towards him, smiling at him. He stopped in front of Jaemin, grinning brightly at someone who he used to know so well. Now they were just the past. "It's been a long time."

"It has."

Despite Jaemin feeling uneasy about Micha and Hyunjin, he felt happy to see Hyunjin again. The two boys shared a quick hug before separating and awkwardly standing there.

"Are you the boy?"
Hyunjin asks, his voice failing on him as it came out a little quieter than he intended. He didn't like where this was going at all.

"the boy?"

"were you messaging Micha a lot while she was in Rio?" Hyunjin asked, interrogating Jaemin who didn't know what to think of all this.

"A little...? why?" Jaemin was starting to feel nervous. What did "the boy" mean? did Hyunjin know something Jaemin didn't?

"And were you on call teaching her to play a game last night?"  The awkward tension in the air seemed to thicken. Jaemin eyed Hyunjin with a raised eyebrow, confused by this all.
"... yes?"

"So you are the boy."

"What boy?"

Hyunjin just smiled and wavered the conversation off with his hand, looking away and back to her house.

"I need to go. but take care of her!"
Hyunjin says, walking past Jaemin as Jaemin turns and looks at him with an even more confused face.
"Look forward to seeing you again soon, Jaemin."

Hyunjin waves to him and walks off, leaving Jaemin lost on what just happened. It was sudden interrogation followed by take care of her, it made him feel as though something was going on.

He walked inside his house, mind still occupied on the thought of being the boy. He wished he asked for more context, though he was almost positive that he wouldn't have gotten an answer with the way Hyunjin was answering.

Was there something going on with him and Micha? did she tell Hyunjin about it?

Jaemin was starting to wish he could just go to her and ask her about it, but what if he was wrong. They would fall back to square one and would repeat the steps all over again.

Back to uncomfortable tension, mixed with some hate. He didn't want to mess up something he liked so much.