17

THE rainy season was around the corner now. even if there was some hot days, it was the time of year where everyone knew it was impossible to avoid getting sick. One minute it was hot and the next it was cold, no way to avoid it unless you stay cooped up at home in an air-conditioned or heated room. and majority of the time, it was those who were the ones who don't get sick.

But never the less, the school students chose to wear their favourite pieces from the uniform. Some wore the school skirts even if it was raining and some wore pants even if it was hot. It didn't seemed to bother them.

Even if someone stood under the rain, no one batted an eye unless it was their friend. So when Micha calmly walked to her class despite the rain pouring down on her, no one batted an eye. Expect of course, Jaemin.

He couldn't figure out why, but ever since he was forced to be around her more by their parents hanging out, he couldn't tell if he was looking for her in every crowd because he hated her, or because he just wanted to see her. and whenever she looked over at him, he looked at the ground and then back to his friends, playing it off calmly in his opinion.

It would be a lie to say jaemin was the only one looking though. Micha found herself looking at him with a judging eye. He wouldn't even allow them to be friends. It was bothering her so much, she didn't know why. She never let people bother her this much, but maybe it was because he lived across the street and their friends were a group of friends.

When Haechan was excitedly bringing up the idea of going to Micha's swimming practice to cheer her on, Jaemin considered it for once. but just as quickly as he had considered it, he declined it once he realised that seeing her reminds him of it, and that bothers him.

It was practically his idea to keep distance majority of the time so why was he being affected so badly by it. He continued cheerfully talking to his friends once lunch time came around, trying his best to ignore Micha who sat with her friend a few tables down.

It wasn't until Jeno invited Youngmi and Micha to sit with them, that Jaemin left.

"oh shit I need to go collect my homework." Jaemin said with a gasp. He wasn't just acting though, he just happened to remember at a great time and it was a perfect excuse to get out.

"You can collect it after lunch"
Haechan tried to reason but Jaemin was adamant on leaving. "I'll forget it by then."

Haechan sighed and ushered Jaemin off with a wave off his hand. Jaemin stood up and walked off from them, leaving the cafeteria quickly.

☁️

Micha dived into the water and swam as quickly as she could down to the other end. It had been a few weeks since the training had started and everyone was back up with it, practically doing their regular speeds, if not, better speeds than before. Micha was only meeting her regular speeds however, and as someone who was supposed to be one of the best on the team, the coach was not satisfied with her.

There was a light rain hitting the roof of the swimming pool cover area, it was relaxing until she was racing her teammates. She knew her friends were watching so she tried to swim faster but couldn't.

She reached the end in 5th place, two spots away from being last. Definitely not her best. hell, it was her worst since year 9.

"You have a swimming competition tomorrow, if you don't meet the standard at the practice tomorrow, you will be sitting out."

It was a standard speech, but Micha never felt so targeted out before. She was never worried about not being able to meet the standard, yet now she was. She didn't know how she lost her swimming ability of the summer, but it had ruined her chances of what felt like everything.

She got out of the pool and out a towel over her shoulders before walking to her friends who sat there smiling at her.

"Coach seems mean."
Jeno says, standing up and giving Micha a comforting pat on the shoulder.

"She's just strict." Micha muttered before wiping her face with the towel.

"Go home and sleep and then go to the competition tomorrow and absolutely kill it!!" Haechan said, putting an arm up in the air in a supportive manner. Micha smiled brightly at him and nodded her head.

For the first time since she started, she was terrified for the competition.