4 | avoidance

4 | avoidance 

A x e l  W h i t e

I fidget with the straps of my backpack, leaning against the locker beside Will's for no apparent reason

I fidget with the straps of my backpack, leaning against the locker beside Will's for no apparent reason. He glances up at my as he sets his binders onto the organized shelf at the bottom of his locker, a little confused. I had told him I'd just walk him to his locker so I'd know where it was, and then leave to go to mine. Obviously, that wasn't the case.

Will sighs and stands up, "he's in your homeroom too, huh?"

I shrug. "Yeah, but it's, that's not why—"

"I can walk you there," Will offers, grabbing his backpack. His bright eyes are kind and willing. "I'll talk to him."

"No!" I whisper. "Never mind. I just, I skipped part of phys ed, and he'll be wondering why."

"If he was picking on you, he should already know why you left."

"Yeah. I'm going," I mutter, patting his shoulder. "See you after school."

"Bye, princess. Call me if you need anything."

"Of course," I smile, and wave goodbye. "What are siblings for?"

My heart races as I walk down the hallway. I clutch my binders close to my chest, blaring Iron Maiden through my earbuds. Maybe it'll help me avoid Axel. Or maybe I'm overreacting. Maybe he doesn't care, or — he's not even here. I turn the corner, and sigh. So much for the odds being in my favour.

I glance down at the ground and wander to my locker, pretending not to notice the brunette standing outside of our classroom, his arms crossed over his chest. I shove my lunch and jacket into my locker, bending down to clear the empty chip bags and papers I left on my locker's floor. A foot nudges my ankle, someone shadowing over me.

I glance up at Axel. His mouth moves. All I can hear is Iron Maiden lyrics:

'Have you ever been alone at night

Thought you heard footsteps behind

And turned around and no one's there?'

I yell and point to my earbuds, "can't hear you, music," making no effort to take them out.

Axel shakes his head. I stand up and walk away to throw my garbage in the trash. When I turn around, Axel is no longer there. I sigh. Dodged another bullet, so to say. I slam my locker shut and trudge into the classroom at the sound of the first bell.

I look down the rows of desks. Axel hasn't given up. He's sitting on top of my desk, watching me until I approach him. My face flushes and I pull my earbuds out, wasting valuable time to listen to Axel instead of great metal music. His cold eyes are bored, but when I stare into them, I get lost in the storm. There's something beautiful about catastrophes, isn't there?

"What happened to you yesterday?" He asks roughly.

"Nothing." I gulp.

He jumps off of the desk and towers over me, my nerves urging me to start freaking out. "Well I hope nothing doesn't happen again today because if you can't cooperate in my class, I don't want you to be there at all." He glares down at me, and I stare up at him with terrified puppy eyes. I nod quickly, realizing I was still lost in a daze, wondering why God let such horrifying people be so beautiful.

It's not even his class.

・・・

Will isn't answering my messages, so I eat my lunch outside alone today. The weather is so beautiful mid January, and the air is fresh, so I grab a book and read it in the shade outside for my lunch and spare. My music is so loud I hardly even notice a girl approach. I look up at her and remove an earbud. "Hi?"

"Go away, please," she tells me, a boy walking up behind her, starting to kiss her neck.

I don't even put up a fight. I grunt and shove my things into my bag and leave as the guy pushes her up against the tree and they start kissing. High school is so messed up.

I roam down the pathway back to the school. When I swing the door open, I accidentally bump into a large, muscular body, and with quick reflexes, the boy grabs my shoulders. I scream out in surprise, "What the heck?"

"Fuck," He gasps. "I didn't see anyone coming."

I frown at the guy: it had to be Axel.

He chuckles, his grey eyes suddenly gleaming. "Watch where you're going next time, huh?"

"Says you," I spit back, regretting it instantly.

He smiles kindly though, deciding not to be an ass. He moves us away from the doors as some kids wander out of them and down the sidewalk, his hand lightly gripping my shivering arm. "Sorry, couldn't see you, you're so small," Axel teases. He grabs a dart from his black jean pocket. "Why are you skipping class?" He lights it up and takes a deep drag.

"I'm not." I answer quietly and ask, "You're allowed to smoke on school grounds?"

He shrugs his shoulders, "I don't pay attention to the rules."

I glance at him as he stares off into the distance, shaking my head. He's so stupid, and I have no desire to get cancer from secondhand smoking, so I turn to walk away. Axel grabs my arms again and throws his cigarette to the ground, stomping on it. "I've been meaning to talk to you," he admits. I lean against the brick wall, and he cages me between it and him with his arm. "I was harsh before, and it's not like I'm allowed to kick you out of the class or anything. I'll be easier on you today."

"You don't have to worry, I'm not coming," I grumble, pushing myself off the wall.

Axel pushes me back against it, his hand on my shoulder. He raises his brows, "What do you mean?" I try to squirm out of his grip. I'm unsuccessful. "Yes, you are," he assures me. "You can't ditch. When Mr. Jenkens comes back, you're gonna suck. He'll fail you."

I look to the ground, "I'll blame you."

Axel chuckles, "of course you will." I glance up into his eyes. He frowns and shakes his head. "But you see," he goes on, "I can't have that. Teaching this class looks great on my college application, and I can't risk losing it." I nod awkwardly. I shouldn't be so surprised he cares about school. He sighs and stares down at me in silence, and my face becomes hotter and hotter. He smiles then, and offers, "You know what, go get changed and I'll help you catch up. Meet me on the lower soccer field in five minutes."

I open my mouth to disapprove, but he turns around and leaves, actually expecting me to show up. I watch him walk down the hallway and trudge inside too. I have to throw away my pride and go. I need the opportunity to raise my average if I want to get into a good college program as well. Plus, it would be pretty great being on Axel's good side. I don't know him; I don't know what he's capable of.

Spending an extra half hour kicking balls isn't going to ruin my life.