Part 7~Hagrid

Walking- or rather jogging- to the wrecked hut, Harry hummed under his breath in a strangely happy mood. Despite many hours trying to read the hands, they could only identify one name, Rubeus Hagrid. As far as Harry was concerned, getting a secret out of Hagrid was as easy as taking a stroll through the dungeon.

Nevile panted as he rushed to catch up with the Slytherin. "Please slow down. If we go barging in, we'll raise his suspicions and he won't tell us anything."

Raising his eyebrow sharply, Harry narrowed his eyes. "I'll have you know I have more tack than that. I am a Slytherin for a reason."

Sighing, Nevile shook his head, walking down the hill to the raggedy hut. "Just don't say anything stupid."

"Shouldn't I be saying that to you?"

Nevile scowled, glaring at Harry before a smirk stretched on his face. "Oh Harry, you should know that Hagrid knows that I'm dating my Harry. We spend a lot of time here when hiding from the Slytherins. He'll know if something's up. That means you have to act sweet, timid and love-struck. Think you cunning Slytherin head can handle that?" Nevile grinned to himself as Harry gulped, paling slightly.

"I... I am a Slytherin. I can do anything. Let's go." Grabbing Nevile's hand, Harry dragged him to the hut. Nevile chuckled, knocking on the door as Harry took a breath and stepped back, hiding behind Nevile's arm.

"Nevile! 'Arry! So good to see you!" Hagrid beamed from ear to ear as he spotted his favourite students, pulling them into a tight hug.

Harry could feel every bone bruising and threatening to snap when Hagrid released him. Coughing, Harry had to suppress the urge to glare at Hagrid, instead choosing to hide behind Nevile, planning to sacrifice him the next time Hagrid tried to touch him.

"Hello Hagrid," Nevile waved, smiling sweetly. "It's good to see you too, mind if we come in?"

"Not at all! Not at all!" Hagrid stepped aside, letting Nevile pull Harry inside. Nevile pulled Harry to the loveseat that he and his Harry would always sit in. Harry lifted his eyebrow, lowering his voice.

"You have to be joking," he hissed, glaring at Nevile who tilted his head snuggly.

"Can't even handle sitting next to me, I can't imagine how you'll handle the rest of the day."

Souring, Harry's aura darkened. "You wanna push me, Badger boy." Lifting his head, Harry didn't just sit next to Nevile, he sat on Nevile's lap, startling the other immensely. Harry grabbed Nevile's shirt, burying himself in Nevile's shoulder, pretending to be embarrassed. He did have to stay in character.

Hagrid cooed the second he spotted Nevile and Harry sitting together. Nevile chuckled lightly, not wanting Harry to get the better of him as he brought up a hand, running his fingers through Harry's hair. "Sorry, Hagrid, Harry has been having a hard time recently and has been struggling to sleep. You don't mind do you."

"Of course not, Nevile. This reminds me of when you were just little second years. 'Arry would always go to yer when he was scared back then too." Hagrid smiled at the memory while Nevile cringed. Right, that detention where Harry was attacked by wolves. A slightly different situation but Nevile could see where Hagrid was getting the idea from.

"Actually, Hagrid, I was wondering, do you know what happened to Norbert?"

Hagrid sighed heavily. "'E's still in Romania, all grown up. I miss em. I really do." Hagrid wiped away a sad tear as he walked to the kitchen. "Tea?"

"No thank you. Harry?" Nevile glanced at Harry who shook his head, keeping up the Hufflepuff persona. "He says no as well."

"Shame, I have a new blend I wanted you to try." Hagrid grabbed some of his biscuits, putting them on the table.

Nevile smiled, picking one up. "Open wide."

Harry had to suppress his glare, closing his eyes and opening his mouth. Nevile chuckled, breaking off a piece of the cookie and putting it in Harry's mouth. Harry hummed quietly, keeping his eyes closed as he reluctantly let Nevile feed him, silently planning Nevile's death.

"Have you got any new 'friends'?" Nevile turned his gaze back to Hagrid, placing the last cookie piece in Harry's mouth and pulling him to rest against his shoulder.

Hagrid shifted his gaze, his eyes falling on a covered cage. "No."

Nevile raised his eyebrow, clearly not believing him. "What under the cover Hagrid?"

"An owl," Hagrid lied, only being stared down more. Sighing, Hagrid gave up. "It's a phoenix!"

Nevile jumped up excitedly, disturbing Harry. "A real one?!"

"It's Fawkes's mate, she was injured and Dumbledore asked me to look after her but you can't tell anyone!"

"Our lips are sealed." Nevile smiled, nodding proudly as Harry huffed, nudging Nevile's side.

"That's not the secret, try something else. Oh, and try to feed me again and I'll break your arm."

Paling, Nevile coughed, clearing his throat, trying to weasel out another secret.

"I accidentally set fire to the forest last week... I should not have told you that."

"I know I shouldn't but I keep sneaking into the kitchens for food. Don't tell anyone else."

"I shouldn't tell you this but I stole Dumbledore's knitting patterns."

None of them was the secret they were looking for. Finally having enough, Harry jumped up, leaving without a word. Panicked, Nevile soothed Hagrid before rushing after Harry. "Hey, what are you doing? We need to find that secret."

"I'm done. You can stay here and listen to him rattling on but I'm not." Harry scowled, about to walk down the path when Nevile grabbed him, spinning him around and pinning him to the hut.

"Listen here you, I thought we agreed that we needed these secrets! You are going home so I can have my Harry back and I don't have to deal with an annoying brat like you! Now stop being difficult and just do what I say!" Nevile panted as Harry lowered his head. Too many memories played through his head.

Pushing Nevile away, Harry stormed away, tears falling from his eyes. Nevile stared dumbfounded. Was he crying?

~~~

Looking around the garden, Hagrid listened to the soft melody that echoed out. "'Arry?"

Harry froze, lifting his head. Part of him wanted to flee but the more aware part of him knew the only exit was behind the giant currently blocking his path. "Hello, Hagrid." Harry tried to put on a smile as Hagrid shook his head.

"You don't have to act 'appy. I know you and Nevile fought." Hagrid moved to sit next to Harry, smiling. "You want to talk?"

Harry shook his head, focusing on the dirt beneath him.

"What are you doing?"

Harry shrugged, removing the soil. "Your plants were being overrun by weeds that are stealing nutrients and water. I'm removing the weeds so they have a better chance at growing."

Hagrid gasped, his eyes sparkling.

"I'm surprised you didn't notice how badly your plants are struggling."

"Well-" Hagrid rubbed the back of his neck- "I don't actually like gardening. Plants are too unforgiving." Hagrid chuckled as the small buzz from Harry's pocket sounded.

"Seriously?!" Jumping up, Harry couldn't believe that was the secret that did it. "Sorry, I have to go." Harry stepped back, dodging the confused half-giant as he charged through the gate, heading back to the school. "Nevile!" Nevile didn't have time to react as Harry pinned him to the wall. "Listen, I got Hagrid's secret but if you want to work with me, let me get something straight first. You do not call me a brat. You do not tell me to do as you say. You don't do any of that stuff. Understood?" Nevile nodded as Harry smirked, stepping back in pride. "Good boy."

"Don't ever say that again," Nevile hissed, making Harry laugh, walking away.